[John_Lit] Re: translation problems.

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
      Mary Coloe wrote:

      > How to translate the word "COMPUTER" to Hebrew

      Dear Mary and others,

      Pardon my delay (I should have written last Sunday already), but let me, as list manager, respond to your last post with a short friendly
      reminder for all in our e-mail discussion group about some protocol:

      Most of us academics appreciate good jokes (like this one, although the males might disagree with your conclusion), but many of us are
      also burdened with too much e-mail these days. Thus, some people get frustrated when messages are not directly pertinent to the group's
      purpose. In extreme cases it causes some people to leave the group, in other cases it makes people less willing to participate actively
      in the group.

      If your joke would have been about what word the Johannine community would use for "computer," or about how the Evangelist would have
      written this Gospel differently with a computer, it might have been funny AND pertinent to our topic.

      Please don't take offense, and no apologies are necessary, but let's all try to keep all our contributions focused on Johannine matters.
      Thanks!

      Felix Just, S.J. -- Asst. Prof. Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
      Web -- http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust
    • ProfRam@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
        On the matter of jokes, I used to access the IOUDAIOS list, which is a pretty
        serious list, and they had some occasional very good jokes. They serve as a
        reminder not to take ourselves or our electronic theorizing too seriously.
        Were there any others who were not particularly offended? :-)

        Ramsey Michaels
      • Bill Skelton
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
          Hey Felix, did you hear the one about the Jesuit who couldn't lighten up?
          Come on Felix, lighten up!
          >On the matter of jokes, I used to access the IOUDAIOS list, which is a
          pretty
          >serious list, and they had some occasional very good jokes. They serve as a
          >reminder not to take ourselves or our electronic theorizing too seriously.
          >Were there any others who were not particularly offended? :-)
          >
          >Ramsey Michaels

        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
            Bill Skelton wrote:

            > Hey Felix, did you hear the one about the Jesuit who couldn't lighten up?
            > Come on Felix, lighten up!

            Being a moderator of two lists, I am painfully aware of how the sorts of messages Felix very gently asked not to be posted here do
            indeed, as Felix fears, have a woefully deleterious effect on current and potential membership, and for the very reasons he stated. So my
            vote is with him on this matter.

            Trust me on this, a call to lighten up is really not on point.

            Yours,

            Jeffrey Gibson
            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson