Re: [John_Lit] Digest Number 374

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2001
      On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 "John E Staton" <jestaton@...> wrote:
      > (snip)
      > I agree that the BD's community regarded the BD more highly
      > than other "disciples" or "apostles," but were well aware that the
      > "outside community" probably held to the opposite judgement.
      > Hengel would suggest that the BD's community did not survive
      > the BD's death by very long, and the FG was put together by
      > a disciple after the death of the BD. Hence it was an attempt
      > to sell some part of the BD's legacy to the church at large. In
      > such a scenario, some kind of anonimty may have seemed
      > appropriate. (By the way, to skip to another thread, this means
      > I am suggesting the "ideal reader" is the interested Christian from
      > outside the BD's community, while the "actual reader" may well
      > often have been the community members themselves)

      John,
      I agree with your first statement. It squares with the idea that
      the leader of the Johannine community may well have been a
      highly regarded female, one that the final editor of the FG sought
      to protect, both for her sake and for the community's sake, by
      concealing her identity.
      Though I am not a student of Hengel, I would agree with what
      you report of his theory in your second statement, though I would
      not describe what that elder from the community did as "putting
      the gospel together." I suspect that the elder simply edited the
      community's collection of midrash-like commentaries on the Jesus
      tradition. That collection already existed. It was prepared for
      distribution to the Christian community "outside" of the Johannine
      community as a means of preserving it. Your suggestion of the
      "ideal reader" seems plausible to me.