Re: [John_Lit] Jews etc

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2001
      Dear Frank,

      Sorry to take so long to reply to your message of Dec. 9.

      I'm saying that I believe the author(s) of the Gospel of John used
      the word "Jew" to represent the establishment, the rulers, of
      Jerusalem, including the High Priest, the Chief Priests, the nobles
      and other high officials. I'm suggesting that Neh. 2: 16 is the likely
      source of that term, used that way, since I think it can be understood
      that way in that context.
      Ezra 37: 14-44 tells how the people of the tribes of Judah and
      Benjamin dealt with the problem perceived to have offended God
      (marrying foreign women). The heads of families, selected by
      Ezra the priest, identified each family in which this offense had
      occured, then Ezra required them to separate themselves from their
      wives, which they did.
      The significance of this, of course, is that the context of both
      Ezra and Nehemiah is the importance of rebuilding the temple and
      reclaiming the relationship with Yahweh, re-establishing the covenant.
      To accomplish this, leaders (in this case, leaders of families) were
      entrusted with the work. When Nehemiah arrives and inspects the
      walls to be rebuilt, he does so under cover of darkness and without
      notifying or involving that leadership core. He recognizes who they
      are, but he does not depend upon them, nor assist them. He sets
      about his task independently, then enlists them in accomplishing the
      task they have tried to start, but accomplishing it under his guidance.
      I see the Jews in the FG being considered in this same way. They
      are recognized as leaders, officials, but Jesus has a mission to fulfill
      which involves the destruction and re-construction of the temple.
      He is not excluding them, but does not depend upon them or assist
      them in doing what they want to do. He does what must be done
      in the way he must, calling them forth to follow him. Much of this
      is revealed in the story of the raising of Lazarus in Jn. 11: 1-54.