[John_Lit] Passover Themes in John 6

  • ejdanna@trapdoor.aracnet.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25 6:24 AM
      following:

      I recently discovered that during the Passover meal the following words
      were spoken over the unleavened bread: "This is the bread of affliction
      which our fathers ate in the land of Egypt. Let everyone who hungers eat;
      let everyone who is needy come and eat the Passover meal."

      Jesus, as a practicing Jew, would of course have known these words. I
      wonder if they are not in the background of the bread-of-life discourse of
      6:32-59. 6:4 provides a temporal link with Passover, and the feeding and
      walking-on-the-sea stories can be seen as a new Exodus. The phrasing of
      verse 35 in particular seems reminiscent of the Passover liturgy. Jesus
      redefines the Passover bread in terms of himself, and the bread of
      affliction becomes the bread of life.

      A few questions occur to me: What is the connection between this discourse
      and chapter 4, and, Why does Jesus never say, "I am the water of life?"
      Is there a connection between the words from the Passover liturgy and John
      7:37f?
      Elizabeth Danna