[John_Lit] Re: Passover Themes in John 6

  • odell mcguire
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27 2:15 AM
      Elizabeth wrote:

      >I recently discovered that during the Passover meal the following words
      were spoken over the unleavened bread: "This is the bread of affliction
      which our fathers ate in the land of Egypt. Let everyone who hungers eat;
      let everyone who is needy come and eat the Passover meal."<

      Do you have a reference for this piece of ritual?

      Best, Odell, Lexington, VA
    • ejdanna@trapdoor.aracnet.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27 6:30 AM
        On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, odell mcguire wrote:

        > Elizabeth wrote:
        >
        > >I recently discovered that during the Passover meal the following words
        > were spoken over the unleavened bread: "This is the bread of affliction
        > which our fathers ate in the land of Egypt. Let everyone who hungers eat;
        > let everyone who is needy come and eat the Passover meal."<
        >
        > Do you have a reference for this piece of ritual?

        I found it in William Lane's commentary on the Gospel of Mark [Eerdmans
        (Grand Rapids, 1974)] p.505, where he cites N. Glatzer ed., _The Passover
        Haggadah_, (New York, 1953) p. 20.

        Elizabeth Danna
      • David Rensberger
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27 8:27 AM
          Elizabeth,

          Just a word of caution on the Passover ritual. Immediately following
          the words "Let everyone who hungers eat; let everyone who is needy come
          and eat the Passover meal," it says, "This year here; next year in the
          land of Israel. This year slaves; next year free people." This
          obviously expresses the hope of Jews in the Diaspora, and probably after
          the destruction of the Temple. It's always hard to know what in
          rabbinic texts really comes from as early as the first century, and what
          is much later. Given this context, it seems unlikely to me, or at least
          not proven without further evidence, that the words about coming and
          eating would have been in use at the time the Fourth Gospel was written,
          let alone at the time of Jesus.

          David
          --
          David Rensberger, Professor of New Testament
          Interdenominational Theological Center