Re: [John_Lit] New (Old) article on John's LOGOS

  • Robert Raphael
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2001
      Without going into a detailed discussion of the CBQ article I am wondering
      if you have an opinion as to whether the writings of the Jewish philosopher
      Philo of Alexandria influenced the content of the Gospel of John
      particularly the prologue. I understand that Philo taught that the Logos was
      God's Son.

      Robert Raphael

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
        Well the whole problem about Philo and John has had quite a bit of coverage.
        Philo used the term Logos in a rather diffuse way - matching the semantic
        domain that the word enjoyed in the first century. It is questionable
        whether there was a specific meaning behind what he had to say but Dodd and
        others, e.g. Sandmel, have argued that the Logos is that of God which is
        perceivable by the human mind - of course, because God is beyond human
        thought any contact with the divine must be through an intermediary - the
        logos. As such John's language of logos is similar - he talks of an
        intermediary god who makes contact with humanity but he clearly goes way
        beyond Philo and is far more clear in his understanding of the role of the
        logos and the status of the logos. It's almost as if John makes systematic
        what Philo leaves as speculative. But I doubt that this was intentional. I
        think, as Dodd and Sandmel and Barrett and Bultmann, that the two were
        working in the same field and the same language and so had similar thoughts.
        The disparity between what they say is as strong as the parity!

        Pete Phillips
        Senior Tutor
        Cliff College, Calver,
        Sheffield, UK