[John_Lit] Topic: John's Audience

  • TonyProst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 1999
      Let me introduce a topic, please. When I read the Gospel of John for
      the first time in Greek, I got the impression that this book was written for
      wide dissemination to a barely literate audience. (Chiefly, I got this
      impression because barely literate I was able to read it!) In other words,
      it was written to be read rather than heard, and over the range of the
      civilized world, even among the barbaroi who knew small Latin and less Greek.

      Is there any academic discussion of this concept?

      Regards
      Tony Prost
      All Nonnos All Day
      http://members.aol.com/tonyprost/index.html