RE: Readers

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2001
      I just received a personal message from somebody
      'named' AVIJAH. The message appeared in my bulk mail
      folder and claimed to have 40k of text. Despite the
      40k, I found no message.

      If somebody was replying to my recent message, the
      reply did not come through -- and at 40k, I am a bit
      relieved.

      Two suggestions:

      1) trim the text

      and

      2) send it to the Johannine Literature Listserve
      rather than to me personally.

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2002
        Recently, I have been having to do a lot of reading in
        literary theory (as you all may have noticed), and I
        continually encounter fascinating concepts and wonder
        if they have all been applied to an analysis of John's
        Gospel.

        Have any scholars attempted to find in John's Gospel
        what Roman Jakobson termed "the dominant," a literary
        device that rules, determines, and transforms the
        remaining literary devices?

        In terms of Russian Formalist theory, the dominant
        emerges when some other literary element has become
        "effaced" or "automatized" (meaning that it has become
        "naturalized" from overuse). The dominant can
        "defamiliarize" other literary elements but also
        provide literary unity for the text as a whole.

        An dominant might be an element such as syntax,
        rhythm, plot, diction, some other element, or a group
        of these elements.

        What would be the candidates for the dominant in John?
        We would need to look for ways in which the fourth
        evangelist tries to defamiliarize elements that have
        become automatized. Would Johannine irony function as
        the dominant?

        (Note that a dominant can itself become automatized,
        especially from 19 hundred years of re-reading -- do
        we really catch Johannine irony? Or do things such as
        humiliation = glorification seem so obviously
        Christian that we usually don't even notice them?)

        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

        http://auctions.yahoo.com