Readers once more

  • RHS
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2001
      To the two J's.
      I know about Ambrose and Augustine. But the very fact that their silent
      reading is commented on means that it was unusual.
      I have an inborn revolt against reading back from our contexts to the
      ancient world.
      Of course the FG is a living text for us today. But the way this text
      comes alive in a congregation in Atlanta, Georgia, will be different
      from the way it comes alive in Sydney, Australia, and different again
      from the way it comes alive in Baghdad. Iraq, and different again in...
      The various hermeneutical devices we use to explain those difference are
      valid and valuable.
      The problem comes, I believe, when we take our experience of the FG and
      force it back into Ephesus, Asia Minor, in the first century of our era,
      or to Alexandria, Egypt, or to...
      I think we can know something about the intended audiences for most of
      the NT documents, including the FG. I think we can know something about
      the target audience and the basic aims, even when the actual human
      author remains unknown to us.
      I still remember the two basic questions that we used to ask of any
      passage of scripture back in those good old 'group dynamics' days: What
      did this text mean? What does this text mean for me and for us today?
      It is the first of these questions that I have been asking of the FG.
      The answers to the second question will be different for every
      reader/listener in the world today. How close can we get to the answer
      to the first question, which is the question I thought our discussion
      group had been mostly about.
      Let's keep the discussion going.
      Ross Saunders from DownUnder