RE: [John_Lit] Readers

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2001

      Jeff Staley wrote:

      > Didn't Ambrose read silently? And Augustine was
      > intrigued by this phenomenon? Or am I wrong?

      That's also how I understood the passage in
      Augustine's "Confessions".

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Matson, Mark A. (Academic)
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 3, 2001
        Ross Saunders wrote:

        > They knew that somebody would stand up in an assembly of the faithful
        > and read out some of their words to those listening.
        > The only 'reader' was the one appointed to read the text
        > aloud, and the
        > only 'listener' was those who had gathered on the Lord's Day
        > to worship
        > and be taught in their faith.

        While I appreciate that documents were read orally in antiquity, are we sure
        that the gospels were always written to be read in a church assembly? Are
        there other venues (e.g. private gatherings, synagogues, symposia, etc) that
        might have been envisaged as possible situations in which a document may
        have been read? I think this possible reconstruction of the audience of a
        text is crucial, and I am not at all sure that it is always a church
        setting, let alone a liturgical type (i.e. worship) setting.

        > The FG was written for those believers in a particular
        > community. We may
        > differ on where that community may have been. But the
        > author/s designed
        > it for that community, and knew it would be read aloud and studied
        > within that community's worship environment.

        And here is where I am really having some trouble with both the FG and other
        gospels. Why do we assume that a gospel was written to a specific
        community? Can we be that sure? Here I want to echo also what Ken Litwak
        wrote in his recent post. It is possible, is it not, that John as well as
        the other gospels were written to be distributed and read in more than one
        setting, more than one community? When I read John's statement of
        intention, in 20:30-31, it sounds more evangelistic than sectarian. What if
        we took him seriously -- does that change the way we read the FG? It seems
        we have come under the sway of those who suggest a sectarian community, a
        narrow group, a Johannane school, etc. But I am not convinced (and I would
        welcome suggestions on where the text mandates such a reading) that John was
        written only for a specific community and meant to be read within that
        community.

        > I want to make this very clear: I am not in any way denying
        > the value of
        > some of these methods of interpretation. I have found them valuable in
        > reading modern texts. The course in semiology I did as part
        > of my first
        > degree was invaluable and a real eye-opener. But as a way of
        > getting at
        > the connection between the author/s of the FG and the first
        > community of
        > listeners, I find it seriously flawed. It presupposes a culture of
        > reading and writing that did not come into being for several hundred
        > years.

        Now what I am suggesting is not a private reading, a private interpretation.
        But I do want to problematize the Johannine community or any narrow
        community orientation for the 4G, and indeed for all the gospels. Returning
        the beginning of this thread, is the implied reader of this gospel
        necessarily (a) already a Christian, (b) a sectarian Johannine christian,
        (c) such that the gospel is meant to affirm and strengthen the peculiar
        approach of that group. Can we not imagine the implied reader to be a
        broader fictional construct on the part of the writer, that is a group of
        readers who have a variety of views toward Jesus, perhaps even "Jews" who
        have questions about the nature of this Jesus and therefore might be
        implicated and examine their own beliefs in light of the totality of the
        story?

        Mark A. Matson
        Academic Dean, Milligan College
        http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm

      • Matson, Mark A. (Academic)
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 3, 2001
          Ross Saunders wrote:

> [...]

          > years.

          Now what I am suggesting is not a private reading, a private interpretation.
          But I do want to problematize the Johannine community or any narrow
          community orientation for the 4G, and indeed for all the gospels. Returning
          the beginning of this thread, is the implied reader of this gospel
          necessarily (a) already a Christian, (b) a sectarian Johannine christian,
          (c) such that the gospel is meant to affirm and strengthen the peculiar
          approach of that group. Can we not imagine the implied reader to be a
          broader fictional construct on the part of the writer, that is a group of
          readers who have a variety of views toward Jesus, perhaps even "Jews" who
          have questions about the nature of this Jesus and therefore might be
          implicated and examine their own beliefs in light of the totality of the

        • Joe Gagne
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 3, 2001
            I would refer you to the Pilots held at the Hanoi Hilton who put together a
            fairly good
            new testament from memory. This was tapped out in code through the walls with
            different people responsible for portions of the N.T. that they knew. We tend
            to think today that our generation is far ahead of previous people, but I
            believe also that are capabilities today have changed due to the way out
            society communicates.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 3, 2001
              Joe Gagne wrote:

              > I would refer you to the Pilots held at the Hanoi
              > Hilton who put together a fairly good new testament
              > from memory. This was tapped out in code through the
              > walls with different people responsible for portions
              > of the N.T. that they knew. We tend to think today
              > that our generation is far ahead of previous people,
              > but I believe also that are capabilities today have
              > changed due to the way out society communicates.

              I think that you need to re-read what I wrote, but let
              me draw your attention to my central point:

              "I would be very surprised if it were common for
              people to remember every word spoken in a lengthy
              discourse upon a single occasion."

              Now, if a single pilot had only heard the New
              Testament one time and could reconstruct it from that
              one reading, then I would be most impressed. I am not
              surprised to hear that a group of people who had
              (probably) read the New Testament several times heard
              the New Testament preached upon any number of times
              could collectively have put together a fairly good
              reconstruction from memory.

              447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Matson, Mark A. (Academic)
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
                Ross Saunders wrote:

> [...]

                > years.

                Now what I am suggesting is not a private reading, a private interpretation.
                But I do want to problematize the Johannine community or any narrow
                community orientation for the 4G, and indeed for all the gospels. Returning
                the beginning of this thread, is the implied reader of this gospel
                necessarily (a) already a Christian, (b) a sectarian Johannine christian,
                (c) such that the gospel is meant to affirm and strengthen the peculiar
                approach of that group. Can we not imagine the implied reader to be a
                broader fictional construct on the part of the writer, that is a group of
                readers who have a variety of views toward Jesus, perhaps even "Jews" who
                have questions about the nature of this Jesus and therefore might be
                implicated and examine their own beliefs in light of the totality of the

              • Staley, Jeffrey
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
                  Mark Matson wrote:

                  Can we not imagine the implied reader to be a
                  broader fictional construct on the part of the writer, that is a group of
                  readers who have a variety of views toward Jesus, perhaps even "Jews" who
                  have questions about the nature of this Jesus and therefore might be
                  implicated and examine their own beliefs in light of the totality of the
                  story?

                  Jeff Staley writes: Yes, I can imagine this, especially when looking at the
                  various characters one finds in FG and the multiplicity of responses to
                  Jesus (e.g., the lame man, blind man, Samaritan woman, Mary and Martha).
                  These characters responses to Jesus are more fully developed than most in
                  Synoptics

                  Jeff
                • Staley, Jeffrey
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
                    Just a boring question from me:

                    Is Prince French or American? In starting this thread,
                    I referred to him as French -- based upon the
                    following bibliographical entry:

                    I have thought French, but I never tried to verify this.

                    Jeff Staley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
                      How many readers/hearers do we have now?

                      1) Narratee

                      2) Implied Reader/Hearer

                      3) Ideal Reader/Hearer

                      4) Actual Reader/Hearer

                      Are there any others? I can imagine at least one
                      other. Previously, I stated that we hermeneuts are
                      actual readers striving to be ideal readers, but that
                      doesn't quite capture our way of reading -- if I
                      understand "ideal" reader correctly. An Ideal Reader
                      would follow and understand every move made by the
                      writer as the writer intended it. I think that we fit
                      into a different category:

                      5) Critical Reader

                      I suppose that there could be a Critical Hearer, too.
                      Anyway, a Critical Reader would understand more than
                      the writer understood -- in effect, could understand
                      better. What, for example, are Freudian readings but
                      an attempt to do precisely this, i.e., to understand
                      the writer's meaning better than the writer did.

                      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • Staley, Jeffrey
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 7, 2001
                        Anyway, if there are phenomenological differences,
                        then this should have implications for reader-response
                        theory. But would it mean the deconstruction of
                        categories like "narratee"? We can still make
                        distinctions among types of "hearers", can't we?
                        Couldn't we have:

                        Ideal Hearer

                        Implied Hearer

                        Addressee

                        Actual Hearer

                        Jeff Staley writes:

                        Jeffery, I do find SOME of these distinctions can be helpful when thinking
                        about narrative. First, however, I think the term narratee is valuable and
                        should be kept--over against the narrator. For example, in Jesus' parable
                        of the Good Samaritan, Jesus is the narrator, the lawyer is clearly the
                        narratee, not the ideal, implied, or actual hearer/reader. Typically, the
                        narratee may or may not function as the implied/ideal hearer/reader. In
                        this case, since we do not know what the lawyer's response was to the
                        Jesus-narrator's "Go and do likewise," we can't be sure how the
                        narratee-character functions from this text alone (we would have to look at
                        all lawyers in Luke-Acts to see what particular ideological point of view is
                        connected with them). Should we assume the implied/ideal hearer/reader
                        should obey Jesus' words regardless of lawyer's response? Probably yes.
                        Should we assume the addressees obeyed? Not at all. We don't have a clue
                        as to their response. Should we assume that actual hearers/readers did/do
                        obey? Depends on who you are talking about.

                        Jeff Staley
                      • Staley, Jeffrey
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 7, 2001
                          How many readers/hearers do we have now?

                          1) Narratee

                          2) Implied Reader/Hearer

                          3) Ideal Reader/Hearer

                          4) Actual Reader/Hearer

                          5) Critical Reader/Hearer

                          I suppose that there could be a Critical Hearer, too.
                          Anyway, a Critical Reader would understand more than
                          the writer understood -- in effect, could understand
                          better.

                          these categories are better, Jeffery. I would only want to reiterate, that
                          #1, #4, #5 can also be resistant "readers," that is, objecting, rejecting
                          and revising in response to hearing/reading. #1 and #4 can be stupid,
                          misunderstanding readers/hearers. I trust that whatever #5 means, its
                          objections, critical responses are not based upon stupidity--though this
                          could be a value judgment . . .

                          Jeff Staley
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 7, 2001
                            johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com writes:

                            >How many readers/hearers do we have now?
                            >
                            >1) Narratee
                            >
                            >2) Implied Reader/Hearer
                            >
                            >3) Ideal Reader/Hearer
                            >
                            >4) Actual Reader/Hearer
                            >
                            >5) Critical Reader/Hearer
                            >
                            >I suppose that there could be a Critical Hearer, too.
                            >Anyway, a Critical Reader would understand more than
                            >the writer understood -- in effect, could understand
                            >better.

                            Thanks, Jeff, and there are certainly many sorts of critical readers
                            today. Any sense of how to find overlap between these types, as well as
                            distinctives?

                            Paul Anderson
                          • Staley, Jeffrey
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 7, 2001
                              Thanks, Jeff, and there are certainly many sorts of critical readers
                              today. Any sense of how to find overlap between these types, as well as
                              distinctives?

                              Just an additional note, Paul, when I said that "I would only want to
                              reiterate, that #1, #4, #5 can also be resistant "readers," that is,
                              objecting, rejecting and revising in response to hearing/reading" I would
                              also say that surprise, reconsideration, revising, and objecting" can also
                              be part of the "implied/ideal readers/hearers" repetoire, but that
                              ultimately, when the reading is done, "implied/ideal readers/hearers" are
                              finally "assenting readers/hearers," whereas many real audiences and
                              critical readers can finish the book and reject it; and not be transformed
                              by it in the way the narrative rhetorics "demands/invites."

                              Oh my, I really must get back to grading final exams!

                              jeff Staley

                              Jeff Staley
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 7, 2001
                                Paul, did you mean to address me (Jeffery) or Jeff
                                (Staley)?

                                I wrote:

                                How many readers/hearers do we have now?

                                1) Narratee

                                2) Implied Reader/Hearer

                                3) Ideal Reader/Hearer

                                4) Actual Reader/Hearer

                                5) Critical Reader/Hearer

                                I suppose that there could be a Critical Hearer, too.
                                Anyway, a Critical Reader would understand more than
                                the writer understood -- in effect, could understand
                                better.

                                You (Paul) asked:

                                > Thanks, Jeff, and there are certainly many sorts of
                                > critical readers today. Any sense of how to find
                                > overlap between these types, as well as
                                distinctives?

                                All of them can probably be deconstructed, but that's
                                not my goal.

                                There is certainly overlap.

                                I'd say that an actual reader could be an implied
                                reader in some cases. A private letter might have only
                                one implied reader who happens to be the actual
                                reader.

                                This actual reader might also strive to be a critical
                                reader -- striving to understand things that the
                                writer himself might not have understand.

                                An ideal reader is an idealization and so would
                                (probably) never be actualized though some critical
                                readers might strive for this status.

                                Could a narratee be any of the others? If the narrator
                                happens to be the author who happens to be addressing
                                a real person who happens to be reading the text, I
                                guess that the various permutations already mentioned
                                are possible.

                                Of course, if we want to take the deconstructionist
                                turn, all readers -- like all writers -- are
                                idealizations, ideological constructs that attempt to
                                fix the flux of uncentered and multiple subjects....

                                447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

                                http://greetings.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 9, 2001
                                  I previously wrote:

                                  > > Couldn't we have:

                                  > > Ideal Hearer

                                  > > Implied Hearer

                                  > > Addressee

                                  > > Actual Hearer

                                  Jeff Staley responded:

                                  > Jeffery, I do find SOME of these distinctions can be
                                  > helpful when thinking about narrative. First,
                                  > however, I think the term narratee is valuable and
                                  > should be kept--over against the narrator.

                                  I reply:

                                  I was thinking of the "Addressee" as the equivalent to
                                  the "Narratee" in a dramatic reading of a text. But
                                  I'm quite willing to stick to "Narratee".

                                  447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

                                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 9, 2001
                                    I previously wrote: