Gerald Prince: The "Narratee" and John's Gospel

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2001
      Is anyone familiar with the work on narrative theory
      by the French literary critic Gerald Prince?

      Gerald Prince, "Introduction to the Study of the
      Narratee", in Jane P. Thomkins, ed., "Reader-Response
      Criticism: From Formalism to Post-Structuralism"
      (Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1980).

      The Original appeared in "Poetique" No. 14, (1973),
      177-96.

      I haven't read either of these but have read a summary
      of Prince's work. He distinguishes four 'readers': 1)
      the ideal reader (the perfectly insightful reader), 2)
      the virtual reader (the reader in the author's mind),
      3) the actual reader (the reader who happens to be
      reading the text), and 4) the narratee (the reader
      addressed by the narrator).

      I find this an interesting and potentially insightful
      way of distinguishing among 'readers'. Have Prince's
      views on the "narratee" et al. been applied to John's
      Gospel? Don't we have a narratee in John's Gospel,
      i.e. in the words "written that you might continue to
      believe," etc.?

      (All of us hermeneuts, of course, are actual readers
      striving to be ideal readers.)

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1