Re: [John_Lit] John and Islam--A Program Suggestion for SBL 2002

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2001
      Tom Thatcher wrote on possible Johannine themes for
      the 2002 SBL:

      > John and Islam

      > "John and the Koran" (I'm thinking here of how the
      > statements about Jesus in the Koran reflect and/or
      > dispute Johannine Christology--as I understand it,
      > the specific problem with Christianity addressed in
      > the Koran is the Johannine teaching on Jesus as the
      > Son of God)

      There are certainly some points of contact -- such as
      the Qur'anic reference to Jesus being a word of God
      and also a spirit from God.

      > "A Muslim Reading of John" (I don't know who would
      > do that one; some Muslim scholar who was qualified
      > react to John in an academic context)

      This could be interesting if done in a scholarly way.
      I'd be interested in knowing -- for instance -- how
      long Muslims have interpreted "paracletos" as a
      corruption of "periklutos". Muslim apologists argue
      that the term was intended to fortell the coming of
      Muhammad, since both "periklutos" and "Muhammad" can
      be interpreted as meaning "the praised one".

      It's interesting to note -- in this context -- that
      Mani (founder of Manichaeism) claimed to be the
      paraclete.

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com