[John_Lit] Re: [John_lit] Jn 19.30

  • Neil Booth
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 1999
      Hello Nigel,

      As I understand it, "bowing the head" was an act which, in the circumstances of crucifixion, ensured that Jesus "breathed his last," ie, it prevented him from breathing and so induced death. I like to link this with John 10:17-18: "The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life - only to take it up again. No-one takes it from me but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

      Jesus wasn't killed. He chose to die and chose the moment of his death. Bauer says that here PARADIDWMI means "gave up his spirit *voluntarily*".

      Neil
      There is nothing we can do to make God love us more
      There is nothing we can do to make God love us less
      --------------------<((>< Philip Yancey
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 1999
        I guess it means he gave up the ghost? We use it ourselves. Is this its
        source?

        Regards,
        Tony PRost
        All Nonnos All Day
        http://members.aol.com/tonyprost/index.html

        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 1999
          To emphasize this, the paraphrase of this verse, by Nonnos of Panopolis in
          Alexandria (?), c. 450 (?) reads:

          Paraphrase 9.160

          kai kephale^n ekline, thele^moni d' eichathe potmo^i

          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 1999
            On Tuesday, 25 May 1999, Tony Prost wrote ...

            > I guess it means he gave up the ghost? We use it ourselves. Is this its
            > source?

            Hello Tony!

            Yes - "gave up the ghost" is in fact the KJV (AV) translation of the last
            few words of John 19.30.