Malina et al

  • RHS
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
      Dear James McGrath,
      Thanks for your reference in Malina to justify your view that he uses
      western models to understand 1st century culture.
      His conclusion to the chapter 'Bible Study and Cultural anthropology'
      states, 'I would invite you to validate the models, to see if they do
      indeed explain, and to realize the spread of cultural difference that
      separates us from first-century Christians. The various areas I have
      chosen to consider might serve you as a set of eyeglasses you can put on
      when you read the texts... When you take those eyeglasses off and return
      to our turn-of-the-century United States, you will be faced with another
      world, a world with a defferent set of hows and whys of human behavior,
      a different set of what people consider significant and important in
      life. If the differences between their world and ours prove too great,
      the variance between their mortal judgments and ours too disturbing, the
      focus between their religious concerns and ours too distant, the chanes
      are good that our interpretation has a higher probability of being more
      accurate. After all, from the perspective of our time and place, our
      foreigners are foreigners, alien human beings, from a distant place and
      a distant time.' (p.25 1993 edition.) Taken with citations from a
      Ross Saunders from DownUnder