Malina et al

  • RHS
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
      Dear Ken Litwak,
      I did ask you for direct evidence that Malina, Neyrey et al use modern
      cultural anthropological models to fill in the NT background. Where is
      that evidence? I did not ask for other scholars' opinions.
      Have you read Neyrey's 'Honor and Shame in the Gospel of Matthew'?
      I communicated with Jerome Neyrey about this and he was quite shocked at
      the accusation. Maybe you should email him about it.
      Jerome.H.Neyrey.1@...
      I have the same question for you too, James McGrath.
      Ross Saunders from DownUnder
    • RHS
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
        Dear James McGrath,
        Thanks for your reference in Malina to justify your view that he uses
        western models to understand 1st century culture.
        His conclusion to the chapter 'Bible Study and Cultural anthropology'
        states, 'I would invite you to validate the models, to see if they do
        indeed explain, and to realize the spread of cultural difference that
        separates us from first-century Christians. The various areas I have
        chosen to consider might serve you as a set of eyeglasses you can put on
        when you read the texts... When you take those eyeglasses off and return
        to our turn-of-the-century United States, you will be faced with another
        world, a world with a defferent set of hows and whys of human behavior,
        a different set of what people consider significant and important in
        life. If the differences between their world and ours prove too great,
        the variance between their mortal judgments and ours too disturbing, the
        focus between their religious concerns and ours too distant, the chanes
        are good that our interpretation has a higher probability of being more
        accurate. After all, from the perspective of our time and place, our
        foreigners are foreigners, alien human beings, from a distant place and
        a distant time.' (p.25 1993 edition.) Taken with citations from a
        Ross Saunders from DownUnder