Re: [John_Lit] Malina et al

  • Daniel Streett
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
      Ken,

      Malina, it is interesting to note, has criticized de Silva for having a "proof-text" mentality (my
      words, not his). In his view, de Silva, in adducing evidence for his views, has simply amassed a
      hodgepodge of snippets from ancient sources and has no driving sociological theory that is able to
      organize these into a coherent model. It seems then that, indeed, there is a fundamental
      methodological disagreement here.

      Daniel R. Streett
      M.A. Student
      Yale University

      --- Ken Litwak <kdlitwak@...> wrote:
      > I found David de SIlva's book _Honor, Patronage, Kinship, Purity_ much more
      > helpful. de SIlva actually adduces evidence from the Greco-Roman world for
      > the values he discusses and shows how those values were behind or reversed in
      > NT writings. Unless Malina has made a fundamental change in his approach, he
      > did not do this in the version of _THe New Testament World_ that I won, and I
      > haven't seen anything to lead me to think he has changed his approach, though
      > he may have in light of all the criticisms of his approach.
      > Ken Litwak

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com