[John_Lit] John 6:62

  • Bill Skelton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13 4:45 PM
      I am not a scholar (as will soon be obvious) but I have a question which the group may find interesting.

      Might John 6:62 ("what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before") paraphrase a quote of Jesus from Daniel 7:13 ("I saw one like a human being [NRSV, or son of man] coming with the clouds of heaven")? Jesus is of course said to have alluded to this verse in Mark 13:26 etc. What prompts this question is my interest in the idea of Wright and Caird that "erchomenon" in Mark 13:62, though normally translated "coming" can also mean "going" and that the latter meaning would express the idea of Son of Man coming to the Throne of God, i.e. being glorified. This, Wright and Caird contend, would represent Daniel's actual meaning whereas the usual "coming" and the idea of Jesus literally "coming" to Earth would actually be opposite idea, going from Heaven to Earth. If the Johannine Jesus is indeed quoting Daniel with this sense it would accord well with the common belief that John 6:62 alludes to Jesus' ascension.