[John_Lit] Re: Women in the Fourth Gospel

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
      On the treatment of women in John, you might add appendices at the ends of
      Ray Brown's _The Community of the Beloved Disciple_ and Bob Kysar's _The
      Maverick Gospel_ (2nd ed).

      Paul Anderson

      On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Jeffrey L. Staley wrote:

      > Kevin Quast wrote:
      >
      > > Hello everyone,
      > >
      > > my "assigned" topic is "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John." Any suggestions on how to approach this and where to go?
      > >

      > Another recent book that has not been mentioned yet is: Adeline Fehribach, The Women in the Life of the Bridegroom: A feminist
      > historical-literary analysis of the female characters in the Fourth Gospel (Liturgical Press, 1998). This seems to be a lightly revised
      > (1994/95?) doctoral dissertation done under the supervision of Mary Ann Tolbert, at Vanderbilt (?). In my book Reading with a Passion:
      > Rhetoric, Autobiography and the American West in the Gospel of John (Continuum, 1995) I devote a chapter to a feminist reading of the
      > "Lazarus story" (p. 54-84). For a slightly different take on the Samaritan woman, see Musa Dube's essay in a recent Semeia volume (I
      > think it is the one on postcolonial interpretations of the Bible) I'll have to check out the exact reference, but I think it is in that
      > Semeia volume.
      >
      > Jeff Staley

    • Jon R. Venema
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 1999
        > Kevin Quast wrote:
        >
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > my "assigned" topic is "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John." Any
        suggestions on how to approach this and where to go?

        It seems a basic or necessary question addressed has been:
        Why women were prominent in Gosepl of John?
        Three general answers:
        1. Addressing the Community
        2. Addressing outsiders
        3. Speaking against other communities

        R. Brown (#3):
        A. Y. Collins (#1-2): Relationships within Johannine community
        characterized by mutuality
        R. Karris (#2): Invitation to women to enter the community
        S. Schneiders (#1): Males in Johannine Community reluctant to recognize
        women
        Schüssler-Fiorenza (#3):

        The topic "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John" would certainly be
        shaped
        by perspectives such as these.

        Jon R. Venema