Re: [John_Lit] another lost Gospel

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
      Dear John,

      Some others already expressed uncertainty in regard to some other material
      in this long file you posted. What is the source of this information, and
      how reliable do you think it is?

      On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, John N. Lupia wrote:

      > The Pepysian Gospel Harmony is an example of the later
      > medieval type written in English for the 14th century Churchmen
      > and nobles, and might be coetaneous with the Middle English
      > "Prose Complaint of Our Lady, and Gospel of Nicodemus".
      > since the oldest extant manuscript is a 14th cent copy in late-
      > Anglo-Norman.

      The following is a synopsis of M-E Boismard, LE DIATESSARON: DE TATIEN A
      JUSTIN, Gabalda, Paris, 1992, the most important book on this text
      published so far,

      -- Boismard on the Pepys Gospel Harmony (Jul 29, 2000),
      http://www.egroups.com/message/loisy/788

      Boismard thinks it is a very important text, and may represent a
      reasonably good witness to the Gospel Harmony as used by Justin Martyr.

      Of course soon my new book is coming out where I'm arguing at some length
      that the source of Pepys document was earlier than all four canonical
      gospels in their present form.

      Best wishes,

      Yuri.

      it is time to reform -=O=- Mark Twain