Re: another lost Gospel

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
      John N. Lupia wrote:
      > The 2nd cent. Gospel of Nicodemus (Acts of Pilate)

      How did you arrive at this date? Everything I have read about it suggest something in the
      4th CE. You eventually mean that some central ideas of it are that early?

      > The Diatessaron of Tatian might be identical with the Gospel of
      > Nicodemus (Acts of Pilate)

      :-) Are we talking about the same things here?

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      ---------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
    • Yuri Kuchinsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
        Dear John,

        Some others already expressed uncertainty in regard to some other material
        in this long file you posted. What is the source of this information, and
        how reliable do you think it is?

        On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, John N. Lupia wrote:

        > The Pepysian Gospel Harmony is an example of the later
        > medieval type written in English for the 14th century Churchmen
        > and nobles, and might be coetaneous with the Middle English
        > "Prose Complaint of Our Lady, and Gospel of Nicodemus".
        > since the oldest extant manuscript is a 14th cent copy in late-
        > Anglo-Norman.

        The following is a synopsis of M-E Boismard, LE DIATESSARON: DE TATIEN A
        JUSTIN, Gabalda, Paris, 1992, the most important book on this text
        published so far,

        -- Boismard on the Pepys Gospel Harmony (Jul 29, 2000),
        http://www.egroups.com/message/loisy/788

        Boismard thinks it is a very important text, and may represent a
        reasonably good witness to the Gospel Harmony as used by Justin Martyr.

        Of course soon my new book is coming out where I'm arguing at some length
        that the source of Pepys document was earlier than all four canonical
        gospels in their present form.

        Best wishes,

        Yuri.

        it is time to reform -=O=- Mark Twain