[John_Lit] [john_lit] John 19:2f

  • ejdanna@trapdoor.aracnet.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 1999
      The Roman mockery of Jesus has been the subject of much discussion, and
      there has been much talk about the possible parallels from elsewhere in the
      ancient world. But when I read it, especially the Johannine and Markan
      accounts, I am struck by how impulsive the soldiers' actions seem to be.
      The account reads like a piece of rough horseplay, the soldiers "hazing"
      their prisoner using whatever happens to be to hand, rather than the
      carriying out of a ritual. I am reminded of two incidents in recent
      years in which a prisoner in the custody of UN troops has died, one in the
      former Yugoslavia and one in Africa (Nigeria?). Is this perhaps a closer
      parallel to the Roman mockery of Jesus than any ancient ritual? Comments
      anyone?
      Elizabeth Danna