Loisy's theories

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 28, 2001
      On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 Maluflen@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 9/28/2001 5:07:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > Emmanuel.Fritsch@... writes:
      >
      > << May you give the name of both french contemporary you think ? >>
      >
      > I was thinking mainly of Lagrange and De Vaux, but just slightly later
      > came Benoit and host of other French exegetical giants. All of these,
      > I am sure, learned a lot from Loisy, but most avoided his more extreme
      > and unfounded views.

      Leonard,

      I suppose that, in some respects, Loisy's views -- especially those he
      developed later in life -- can indeed be described as "extreme". Because
      he had challenged the whole exegetical world at least in two respects.

      1. He argued that there are massive later interpolations (something like
      50%) in all of Pauline writings.

      2. He also argued that the early versions of all 4 gospels were
      essentially Jewish-Christian quartodeciman documents. And, according to
      him, these much more Jewish-oriented primitive proto-gospels were
      re-edited substantially around 135 CE, when Gentile-Christians appeared to
      have seized control of the movement.

      As to his views being "unfounded", surely this is a matter of
      interpretation.

      But also, let us not lose track of one important consideration. All those
      "Modernist sins" of his that caused Loisy to be excommunicated in 1908 are
      now the mainstream of biblical exegesis, including Catholic biblical
      exegesis. Because, in effect, Vatican II was a resounding vindication of
      "Modernism" and of Loisy.

      So now, scholarship would do well to catch up with all those other
      theories that Loisy developed in 1920s and 30s. These are still basically
      unknown to today's generation of scholars.

      Here is, once again, where these two books, that reflect his later views,
      can be found,

      "The Birth of the Christian Religion",
      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/loisy/

      "The Origins of the New Testament",
      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/loisy2/

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto -=O=- http://www.trends.ca/~yuku

      Reality is that which, when you stop believing
      in it, doesn't go away -=O=- Philip K. Dick