Alfred Loisy Online

  • Peter Kirby
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2001
      Hello,

      Thanks to the efforts of Hans Radax (with some help from me), the works of
      Alfred Loisy are now available online for free viewing.

      Alfred Loisy was perhaps the greatest French New Testament scholar ever to
      live. Loisy was also the most important figure of the Catholic Modernist
      movement that flourished in the first half of the last century. For his
      radical views on biblical history, Loisy was excommunicated from the Roman
      Catholic Church. Loisy wrote dozens of books and articles in his lifetime.
      Loisy was a scholar way ahead of his time, and his writings remain relevant
      today. Of his works, two were translated into English by L. P. Jacks.
      These works are now available on the internet for the first time.

      _The Birth of the Christian Religion_

      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/loisy/

      _The Origins of the New Testament_.

      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/loisy2/

      Here is the chapter on the Gospel of John.

      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/loisy2/chapter7.html

      Other scholarly books (from all over the web) can be found here:

      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/onlinebooks.html

      I plan to bring other classic scholarly works to the internet as well. If
      you have the ability to offer some of your time in converting text files
      into HTML and editing for errors, I would be very pleased if you contacted
      me about possibly helping with another scholarly work. There is no
      obligation to do anything after contacting me--just let me know if you are
      considering being a volunteer (for example, you may want to volunteer only
      for certain works, and that is OK).

      I would also like to hear suggestions on which scholarly work you would like
      to see on the internet. Suggestions must have been published in 1963 or
      earlier and no longer under copyright in the U.S. in order to be considered.

      Please e-mail me off-list either to volunteer or to suggest. Thanks!

      best,
      Peter Kirby
      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/