Re:RE: [John_Lit] John's Gospel and these Tragic Times

  • gds@dor.kaiser.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2001
      Dear Jeffery and other Folk:

      Yes, these are poignant times, and such reflections certainly are timely if
      anything. I too found myself ruminating on the destruction of the World Trade
      Center, and it hit me, that our feelings as a nation must have been similar to
      those of the Jewish people when they lost their Temple in 597 BCE and 70 CE.
      Although the WTC will never be the religious center that the Temple was, it
      certainly was a cultural center, full of similar national symbolism, and the
      like. One could very much consider it a secular Temple of Capitalism for all
      its strategic economic significance. In that respect, the centrality of it as
      a redistribution center certainly has specific parallels to the ancient Temple,
      it would seem. For the first time, I think I understand some of the feelings
      that lay behind the ninth of Ab, and the various Temple destruction texts in
      both the OT and NT. Certainly, it is as close was we in this nation will ever
      come to having experienced what texts like that are 'about'. I just remember
      thinking, as I watched the replays of those twin towers coming down on CNN, "I
      wonder if those ancient priests felt the same way as I do when I see this."
      Sept. 11th will be our nation's 9th of Ab. It also hit me, that holocaust
      theology has now become a little more real to our common public, especially as
      it attempts to deal with the absurdity of this event. Then it dawned upon me
      that post-colonial interpretation and holocaust theology may be fruitful
      partners, indeed, intricately and inextricably tied together, as America looks
      to its religious leaders to 'explain' this tragedy. In that respect, this event
      has not only 'aged' our nation, but also laid the foundation for a deeper look
      at the significance of the texts we discuss on this and other similar forums.
      That, to me, is the silver lining I find in these events as I ponder its meaning
      in light of scriptural experiences. I say 'silver lining', and not meaning, for
      the simple reason that such absurdity hardly ever gives up meaning in any
      completely satisfactory manner. At least, that is what my readings in holocaust
      theology have impressed upon me. But it is good, very good for us to pause and
      reflect on this event as a forum. It can only make our future ruminations on
      biblical texts more illuminating for our own day.

      Sincerely,

      Gary D. Salyer