RE: [John_Lit] John's Gospel and these Tragic Times

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2001
      Horace Jeffery Hodges [mailto:jefferyhodges@...] wrote:

      > Perhaps I can make this post semi-Johannine (though
      > not particularly scholarly) by closing with the hope
      > that the fourth evangelist was right in affirming that
      > the darkness does not overcome the light -- and I
      > refer not only to any actual darkness without that we
      > may fear but also to the possible darkness within each
      > of us.

      Thanks for this reflection on the light/darkness theme, Jeffery! And thanks
      to Michael for sharing how you incorporated this week's tragedies into your
      class on John!

      My own thoughts in the past few days have focused not so much on the
      Temple-destruction themes, which Jeff S. asked about, but more on John
      16:2b - "Indeed, an hour is coming when those who kill you will think that
      by doing so they are offering worship to God." I mean this not as a
      criticism of Islam (if that indeed is a factor behind the tragedies), since
      it should be obvious that ALL religious traditions (incl. our own) have had
      their misguided fanatics, in the past and present alike.

      I've also reflected on passages of John's Gospel that could help us overcome
      our all-too-human desires for revenge, which we are already hearing from
      many people, lest our own hunger for justice inflict even more injustice
      upon other innocents. Could the "other sheep" of John 10:16 possibly
      include Muslims, Jews and believers of other religious traditions, not just
      other Christians? Maybe that's stretching the original text too far, and
      yet the Johannine Jesus desires the salvation of "the world" (John 3:17),
      rather than its condemnation (even when "world" refers to one's enemies in
      John).

      Most of all, I'm comforted by the assurances of Jesus' presence, love,
      indwelling, and eternal life found throughout John. I hope others can find
      comfort and strength in the same texts and themes, especially those who have
      died or are injured, and their family and friends. May the Spirit and Peace
      of Jesus truly abide with us (John 20:19-22) in the days and weeks to come.

      Felix
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Felix Just, S.J. - Dept. of Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University - 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 - Ph (310) 338-5933
      Homepage: http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 16, 2001
        johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >And I think it will be quite sad if we johannine
        >scholars are unable to talk about the use of FG in times like these. . .

        Thanks, Jeff, I really think the Gospel of John has some great themes that
        need sounding these days: a peace "not of this world" connected to a
        kingdom that is "not of this world" -- being one of Truth; neither in
        Jerusalem nor "on this mountain" -- transcendent of place and form -- but
        in Spirit and in Truth is authentic worship conducted; and the
        reconstruction of the Temple can only be effected by saving work of God
        rather than anything of human origin or initiative.

        These themes challenge myths of redemptive violence within and beyond
        one's circles of influence, and while John's narrow inclusivity is prone
        to tribal and provincial uses, John's broader inclusivity deserves to
        provide an important counterbalance.

        In such a deeply troubling time as this, easy answers fall way short of
        what is needed.

        Paul Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
          Jeff Staley wrote:

          > I think it will be quite sad if we johannine
          > scholars are unable to talk about the use of FG in
          > times like these. . .

          It appears that we aren't quite emotionally ready. We
          may find our voices again in time.

          I suggest that we organize sessions -- not only
          Johannine -- on the general issue of "use and abuse of
          religion" at the 2002 AAR/SBL.

          447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

          http://phone.yahoo.com
        • Bob MacDonald
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
            What usage of the FG was made in prior times of disturbance?

            E.g. the request from the BBC to Dorothy Sayers to write The Man Born to be
            King.

            Or perhaps the creation of the canons themselves - or so Akenson claims -
            that each was created after a destruction of a temple.

            Would those who would rule demand that the stone move to their will? or
            "serve but the stone, the stone serves all."

            The work no master may subject
            save he to whom the whole is known
            Being himself the Architect
            The Craftsman and the Corner-Stone.

            Then when the greatest and the least
            Have finished all their labouring
            And sit together at the feast
            You shall behold a wonder thing:

            The Maker of the men that make
            will stoop between the cherubim
            The towel and the basin take
            And serve the servants who serve him.

            (from The Makers - dedicatory to The Man Born to be King)

            If a temple is destroyed, can we find meaning again?

            Bob

            mailto::BobMacDonald@...
            + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

            Catch the foxes for us,