[John_Lit] Re: anarthrous "spirit and ..."

  • Thatcher, Tom
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19 7:17 AM
      Dear Nigel,

      Not sure if this is what you're after, but in re John 4:23-24 I would
      compare 1 JOhn 3:18 where John says that true Christians love "in deed and
      truth." I would argue that "truth" in that context is doctrinal orthodoxy
      (contra the AntiChrists), while "deed" is the actions which accompany
      correct belief. Same in John 4, where I would see that worship "in spirit
      and in truth" means worship done by those with a correct Christology in a
      spiritual way. I guess I would say then that both of those examples are
      "dative of manner." But John 3:3-5 makes "water and spirit" synonymous with
      anothen ("again/above"), so that the dative must be instrumental dative, the
      means by which "birth from above" is achieved. I would see, in other words,
      two different uses of the dative in the verses you cite. Does that sound
      reasonable?

      Respectfully,
      --tom

      "The Truth Will Set You Free"