[John_Lit] Re: three days

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 1999
      On 19 Jul 99, at 13:20, Wieland Willker wrote:

      > Jesus is in Bethany/Jordan in ch. 1.
      > In 1:43 Jesus decided to go to Galilee.
      > In 2:1 he is in Kana.
      > The question for me is: It takes at least 3 days to travel to Galilee. Is
      > Jesus already in Galilee when he meets Philip? What does "on the third"
      > day mean in 2:1? Could this mean, "after three days traveling"?
      >
      > NRS John 1:28 This took place in Bethany across the Jordan
      > NRS John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming
      > NRS John 1:35 The next day John again was standing
      > NRS John 1:43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip
      > NRS John 1:44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, NRS John 2:1 On the third day
      > there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee

      The regular mentions of time here form the basis for Michael
      Goulder's lectionary theory of the origin of John. He thinks that each
      mention is "lectionary time" and he builds everything into a scheme for
      reading John over a forty-day Lent-type pre-Paschal fast. The third
      day mentioned above means that there is a kind of "rest day" between
      the readings for the fourth day of the first week and the sixth day of
      the first week. For the first week of the liturgy, therefore, we have the
      following pattern:

      Day 1: 1.1-28
      Day 2: 1.29-34 ("the next day")
      Day 3: 1.35-42 ("the next day")
      Day 4: 1.43-51 ("the next day")
      Day 5 --
      Day 6: 2.1-12 ("the third day")
      Day 7: 2.13-22 ("Passover").

      He has written two papers on this, one published at:

      "The Liturgical Origin of St John's Gospel" in E. A. Livingstone (ed.),
      _Studia Evangelica_, VII (Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 1982), pp. 205-
      21.

      The second was unpublished. I wrote a critique of his theory for
      _Goulder and the Gospels_ but it never went into the thesis -- lack of
      space. Perhaps I will dig it out sometime and stick it on the web.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      The New Testament Gateway
      Mark Without Q