Re: [John_Lit] Re: canonical writings (was: Beloved Disciple passages in ms Pepys)

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19 4:33 PM
      John,

      Since I have been in on this discussion all along, I
      suppose I have a responsibility to comment.

      1) You propose an analogy:

      "In this case, the more you [= Richard], Yuri, and
      anyone else hollers 'all the more loudly' that the
      Testament of Job cannot be canonical, the more they
      agree that Pepys ms. cannot be what Yuri claims it is
      since the two constitute the same line of reasoning."

      I agree that there would be an analogy between arguing
      for the "Testament of Job" as the Vorlage to the "Book
      of Job" and Yuri's arguing for the Pepys manuscript as
      the Vorlage to John's Gospel, but there is no logical
      connection between a strong or weak argument for the
      one and a strong or weak argument for the other --
      though I think Yuri's argument is not strong.

      2) You explain the strategy that led you to make an
      analogical argument:

      "In any debate including court trials, it is always a
      strategic ploy to get your opponent into an argument
      where they lose whether you are right or wrong."

      Yes, debate does work this way, but academic
      discussions should avoid this strategy -- in my
      opinion. Why? Because I think that the strategy would
      distort discussion into debate and lead to fundamental
      distrust among scholars.

      Best Regards,

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/