Re: [John_Lit] "dokeo" and "pisteuo"

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 12 5:14 PM
      Yuri,

      Just some quick points and questions -- and a lot of
      snipping [my previous remarks will have double angles
      (> >), and yours will have single angles (>)]. I
      wrote:

      > > It would nevertheless mean that their conclusion
      > > was wrong and that Mary Magdalene was wrong

      To which, you responded:

      > I don't see it this way.

      Why not? You agree that even the Pepys text
      presupposed the bodily resurrection. If Mary Magdalene
      thought that the body had been taken away, and if the
      beloved disciple also concluded this, then in the
      context of the Johannine presupposition of a bodily
      resurrection, this conclusion was wrong.

      > But the fact that Zacharias uses "credidit" goes
      > contrary to your opinion.

      You'll have to explain why. Perhaps this is your
      explanation:

      > It seems that Zacharias thought that the word
      > credidit/pisteuo was appropriate in the context in
      > which it's used in the passage he quoted. I agree
      > with Zacharias.

      Assuming that Zacharias thought about this point and
      that you're correct about what he thought, why do you
      agree with him?

      > > You seem to be accepting that "pisteuo" was the
      > > original term.
      >
      > Yes.
      >
      > > If so, then it would most likely have meant an
      > > important theological belief on the part of the
      > > beloved disciple.
      >
      > But this is only a guess on your part.

      I wouldn't call it a "guess"; I'd call it a
      tentatively stated conclusion based upon the Johannine
      linguistic evidence as I see it. Since you have agreed
      that there is an important difference between the use
      of "pisteuo" and "dokeo" in John, you need to explain
      why this important distinction does not hold here.

      > If you think that the Pepys and Zacharias documents
      > both reflect later editing, when do you think this
      > was done? And also, in your view, was it done
      > independently by both writers?

      I don't know the answer to either question, but my
      ignorance on these two points is not relevant to the
      questions that I have raised about the use of
      "pisteuo" if the Pepys manuscript reflects the
      original version of John's Gospel.

      Best Regards,

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Yuri Kuchinsky
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 16 12:52 PM
        On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

        > > > It would nevertheless mean that their conclusion
        > > > was wrong and that Mary Magdalene was wrong
        >
        > To which, you responded:
        >
        > > I don't see it this way.
        >
        > Why not?

        Because his conclusion was right in light of what he knew and saw. As to
        Mary Magdalene, it's not relevant in this case if she was right or wrong.

        > > But the fact that Zacharias uses "credidit" goes
        > > contrary to your opinion.
        >
        > You'll have to explain why. Perhaps this is your
        > explanation:
        >
        > > It seems that Zacharias thought that the word
        > > credidit/pisteuo was appropriate in the context in
        > > which it's used in the passage he quoted. I agree
        > > with Zacharias.
        >
        > Assuming that Zacharias thought about this point and
        > that you're correct about what he thought, why do you
        > agree with him?

        Because he probably knew Latin better than I.

        > > If you think that the Pepys and Zacharias documents
        > > both reflect later editing, when do you think this
        > > was done? And also, in your view, was it done
        > > independently by both writers?
        >
        > I don't know the answer to either question

        So then how do you know it was later editing if you don't know how and
        when it was done?

        Basically, Jeffery, you seem to be arguing that one word rather than
        another is more appropriate in the context of a certain verse. But surely
        this is a matter of opinion. I think we can agree to disagree about this,
        and I'm willing to let you have the last word on this subject.

        Best,

        Yuri.

        equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 16 4:34 PM
          Yuri,

          You asked:

          > So then how do you know it was later editing if you
          > don't know how and when it was done?

          In the strictest sense of the term, I don't know
          because I haven't studied the issue. I was, primarily,
          raising questions that you would need to investigate
          and answer in order to tighten your arguments. This is
          how I see the purpose of scholarly listserves such as
          this one, and it's why I have tried to participate in
          discussions whenever I felt that I had something to
          say or a question to raise.

          > Basically, Jeffery, you seem to be arguing that one
          > word rather than another is more appropriate in the
          > context of a certain verse.

          That's correct.

          > But surely this is a matter of opinion.

          Some opinions are better grounded than others. I have
          given my grounds, and those grounds would need to be
          evaluated.

          > I think we can agree to disagree about this, and I'm
          > willing to let you have the last word on this
          > subject.

          I rarely have that honor.

          Best Regards,

          447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City