Re: [John_Lit] Last Supper

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 9, 2001
      Dear Steve,
      Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply to your last message.
      Your point is well taken that the Last Supper is not specifically
      identified in the FG. You note, however, that the symbols that
      are clearly associated with it DO appear in the text. I submit that
      the symbolism is so consistent and clear that the writer(s) were
      assuming that the readers were already familiar with the tradition
      and would get the point. The stories of the annointing and the
      footwashing in chapters 12 and 13 are clearly set within the context
      of the last supper, even though the FG does not describe that meal
      in detail.