Re: Passover lamb and Philo

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2001
      Frank McCoy writes:

      > Does anyone know if the Galileans had some of their own regional "quirks"
      > regarding how to observe this festival? Also, does anyone have any
      > information on how much freedom the High Priest had to dictate how this
      > festival was to be officially observed in Jerusalem?

      I haven't been able to find out about the Galilean angle, but Josephus
      says (in Whiston's translation, which is all I have),that the Sadducees 'are
      able to do almost nothing of themselves; for when they become magistrates, as
      they are unwillingly and sometimes by force obliged to be, they addict
      themselves to the notions of the Pharisees, because the multitude would not
      otherwise bear them' (Antiquities XVIII.1.4). In XIII.10.5, h says that the
      Pharisees 'have so great a power over the multitude, that when they say
      anything against the king (Hyrcanus) or against the high priest, they are
      presently believed'. In para. 6, he adds, 'the Pharisees have have delivered
      to the people a great many observances by succession from their fathers,
      which are not written in the law of Moses; and for that reason it is that the
      Sadducees reject them, and say that we are to esteem those observances to be
      obligatory that are in the written word, but are not to observe what are
      derived from the tradition of our forefathers; and concerning these things it
      is that great disputes and differences have arisen among them, but the
      Pharisees have the multitude of their side'

      One notable thing about liturgy is that it only 'works' when the people
      identify with it; from the sound of it, the Sadducees had precious little
      room for manoeuvre at the best of times, and as Passover was traditionally a
      time of political tension, they'd have been likely to be extra careful. I
      seem to remember reading somewhere that the Pharisees sometimes tripped the
      Sadducees up by ensuring that at the time of sacrifice they would be
      ritually unclean by their own stricter standards, but clean according to the
      Pharisees, and so they were forced to follow the Pharisees' rules relating to
      that sacrifice. Does anyone have a reference for this?

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley

      RSBrenchley@...