[John_Lit] Re: anarthrous "spirit and ..."

  • N & RJ Hanscamp
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 1999
      >The fact that the term pneuma is anarthrous in the above citations is not
      >particularly significant, because it is quite idiomatic in Hellenistic
      Greek
      >to not have an article with a noun in a prepositional phrase. De la
      Potterie,
      >in La Verite dans Saint Jean (Rome 1977), discusses the "spirit and truth"
      >texts at length, but I don't remember at the moment what he says about
      them.
      >He has also suggested elsewhere that "water", in the first text, is
      probably
      >an addition belonging to a late stage of the development of the text (he
      says
      >this independently of Bultman's theory of the sacramental redactor, etc.).

      Thank you

      I have yet to see any textual evidence for any addition of hUDATOS to the
      text.
      Nigel

      Nigel and Rebecca Hanscamp
      Trinity Methodist Theological College
      Auckland Consortium of Theological Education, New Zealand
      Email: nar.hanscamp@...

    • Thatcher, Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 1999
        Dear Nigel,

        Not sure if this is what you're after, but in re John 4:23-24 I would
        compare 1 JOhn 3:18 where John says that true Christians love "in deed and
        truth." I would argue that "truth" in that context is doctrinal orthodoxy
        (contra the AntiChrists), while "deed" is the actions which accompany
        correct belief. Same in John 4, where I would see that worship "in spirit
        and in truth" means worship done by those with a correct Christology in a
        spiritual way. I guess I would say then that both of those examples are
        "dative of manner." But John 3:3-5 makes "water and spirit" synonymous with
        anothen ("again/above"), so that the dative must be instrumental dative, the
        means by which "birth from above" is achieved. I would see, in other words,
        two different uses of the dative in the verses you cite. Does that sound
        reasonable?

        Respectfully,
        --tom

        "The Truth Will Set You Free"