Meier on the Samaritans

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2001
      Greetings all,

      The subject of Samaritanism is covered best in Jn and in Lk, which two
      gospels are certainly more friendly to the Samaritans than the others.

      Myself, I'm currently doing some research in this area, so when the other
      day someone very helpfully referenced for us the following article by
      Meier, I went and read it.

      John P. MEIER, "The Historical Jesus and the Historical Samaritans: What
      can be Said?", Biblica 81 (2000),
      http://www.bsw.org/project/biblica/bibl81/Comm05m.html

      But unfortunately, I must say that I was rather dissatisfied with Meier's
      article. For one thing, why does he keep referring to the site of
      Jerusalem Temple as "Mt. Zion"?

      "..Mt. Zion in Jerusalem as the one valid place to build an altar or
      temple for the public worship of Yahweh.."

      But in actual fact, Jewish tradition identifies the Temple Mount with Mt.
      Moriah.

      Also, Meier seems to reject the idea that there was ever a schism between
      the Jews and the Samaritans, because, according to him, they were never
      united in the first place,

      "'Schism' presupposes some original unity or union. If we are speaking of
      Samaritans and Jews, we must ask in what sense these two groups were ever
      united."

      That's certainly an easy way out of this problem that preoccupied
      historians for a long time indeed.

      Also, I have a problem with Meier saying that Samaritanism is not a part
      of Judaism,

      "I question [Purvis'] view that Samaritanism should be considered part of
      Judaism 'broadly defined'."

      But perhaps Meier is completely unaware of the evidence that Samaritans,
      themselves, were known to refer to themselves as "Hebrews", and even
      "Jews".

      Also, no mention is made in his article of the fact that the Samaritan
      Pentateuch preserves great many readings that are in agreement with the
      Septuagint (LXX) against the Masoretic text. (Of some 6000 variations
      between the MT and the SamP, about 1900 agree closely with the
      Septuagint.) Many scholars argued that very often both LXX and SamP
      preserve the more primitive readings.

      And neither is the special affinity between NT and SamP mentioned. As I
      already said before, the New Testament, when quoting from the Old
      Testament, very often agrees with the Samaritan text where that differs
      from the Masoretic text.

      In general, I'm afraid, Meier seems to misunderstand this whole problem,
      and its true significance. For one thing, he seems completely unaware of
      the theories that Jesus' criticism of the Temple may have had something to
      do with his northern roots. Certainly this idea can be seen clearly in the
      speech of Steven in Acts, since this speech both shows certain Samaritan
      affinities, and is critical of the Temple.

      And what about the northern roots of John the Baptist? Meier seems to have
      missed these ones as well.

      The way I see it, the dispute between the Jews and Samaritans was/is the
      struggle for the definition of the true Israel. One thing that needs to be
      stressed is the fact that the northern centres of worship, such as Mt.
      Gerizim, clearly exceed Jerusalem in their antiquity. There's not really
      much doubt about this.

      So it is just possible that Samaritanism preserves the original and the
      more conservative Israelite tradition. In connection with this, the
      affinities between the Samaritans and the Sadducees have been often
      remarked upon.

      I think there's good evidence that JB was connected with Samaria. Seeing
      this, the HJ would not have been too far away from this tradition either.
      And in such a case, surprising as this may seem to many, the early
      Christians may have claimed for themselves an Israelite tradition more
      ancient than the one represented by the Jerusalem temple.

      Best wishes,

      Yuri.

      it is time to reform -=O=- Mark Twain