Re: [John_Lit] Digest Number 284

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2001
      At 04:50 PM 7/11/01 +0100, John E. Staton wrote:
      >Unfortunately, I have no access to the article you mention, but the argument
      >is not new. EN can mean "in" or "among". As far as I have read so far, most
      >commetators on this passage translate "among the apostles". One classical
      >quotation would not be sufficient to overturn this reading. There would need
      >to be arguments from koine Greek and from NT or early Christian, or from
      >Jewish usage, as all these forms of Greek are more similar to Paul's usage
      >than Euripides.

      Well, you are really going to have to read the article. I'm
      aware that one swallow does not make a summer (the classical
      example is an easy one I came up with highlighting an issue
      many commentators didn't even address), but the authors, Burer
      and Wallace, extensively surveyed Greek literature on TLG for
      their conclusions. Here is the abstract:

      The identification of Junia in Rom 16.7 has been a
      familiar problem in biblical interpretation. Most
      studies, however, are preoccupied with the gender
      of the name, assuming that Junia's apostolic status is
      not in doubt. This article addresses the latter issue.
      The collocation of EPISTHMOS with its adjuncts shows
      that, as a rule, EPISTHMOS with a genitive personal
      adjunct indicates an inclusive comparison (�outstanding
      among�), while EPISTHMOS with (EN plus) the personal
      dative indicates an elative notion without the
      implication of inclusion (�well known to�). This study
      concludes that Junia was well known to the apostles
      rather than outstanding among them.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...