Re(2): [John_Lit] Digest Number 283

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2001
      johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >This verse challenges most
      >of our present-day assumptions about apostleship. It suggests the company
      >of
      >apostles was greater in number than is usually acknowledged (maybe all the
      >500 who saw the Risen Christ at one time, as per 1 Corithians 15 were
      >included), and that women were included, though this latter development
      >was
      >far too radical to last for long. Nobody "lost" apostleship, they were
      >just
      >not replaced when they died
      >
      >Best Wishes
      >
      >JOHN E STATON

      Good points, John, I see the Johannine broadenning of apostolicity
      (including the omission of the calling of the Twelve, etc.) not as an
      indicator of non-apostolic identity (contra Brown and others), but as an
      objection to the constriction of apostolic coin -- precisely because of a
      sense of apostolic mission and identity. In that sense, John appeals to
      the original intentionality of Jesus for his church against later
      movements toward structuralized and genderized delimitations of leadership
      emerging as second- and third- generation innovations.

      This seems to be another example of Johannine primitivity rendered in a
      later setting.

      Paul Anderson