Re: [John_Lit] Last Supper

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
      To: "James McGrath"
      Regarding Pesach Eve Seder in Mishnaic and Talmudic Literature:

      Our understanding of the Pesach Eve (Erev) Seder comes largely from the
      writings of the Mishnaic & Jerusalem Talmud Tractate Pesahim, and the Gospel
      of John itself.

      Passover Eve

      Before the common meal on Passover eve, the day was filled with preperation
      for the even. A full contingent of priests -- twenty-four divisions instead
      of the usual one--came early to the Temple. Their first task was the
      burning of the hametz, "leven," which had been searched for by candlelight
      in each home the night before and then removed for burning the next morning
      (Mishnah, Pesahim 1-3). By midday all work stopped. The afternoon was set
      aside for the slaughtering of the lamb. The offering of the passover
      sacrifice at the Temple began about 3:00pm. (Pesahim 5:1) and was conducted
      in three massive shifts. When the temple courts was filled with the first
      group of offerers, the gates of the court were closed. The rams horn was
      sounded and the sacrifice began (Pesahim5:5). Each Jew slaughtered his own
      lamb. The priests stood in two rows, one holding a gold basins and the
      other silver. After the blood was drained into the basin, it was tossed
      against the base of the altar (Pesahim 5:6). While the offerings were going
      on, the Levites sang the Hallel (Pss 113-118). Each lamb was then skinned
      and its fat with kidneys removerd for burning on the alter (Pesahim 5:9-10;
      cf. Lev 3:3-5). Before leaving the temple each offerer slung his lamb --
      wrapped in its own hide over his shoulder (Babylonian Talmud, Peshahim 65b).
      He then departed with his company to prepare the passover meal.
      Immediately, the next division of offerers filed into the Temple court and
      the ritual was repeated. (cf. also Pesahim 66a & Jerusalem Talmud Pesahim
      6:1)

      Mishnah (Pesahim 4:1) "it is a positive commandment for each Jew to drink
      four cups of wine on Passover eve, and even the poorest Jew must not receive
      less than four cups of wine." Number four, four cups, have special
      significance, given in many variations: four cups of wine, four questions,
      four sons, four special symbolic foods to be eaten - the paschal sacrifice,
      the matza, the bitter herb and the haroset.

      For additional bibliographic references see:

      Wolf Heidenheim, Passover Eve (Roedelheim, 1822-23)

      Harold Hoehner, “Chronological Aspects of the Life of Christ,” Zondervan,
      1977).

      Rylands Hebrew MS 6 (Catalonian c. 1350) A Haggadah, or service book used
      at the Seder on Passover eve.

      Baruch Bokser, Origins of the Seder, (Univ. of Calif. Press) [o.p.]

      E. Daniel Goldschmidt, The Passover Haggadah: Its Sources and History (Mosad
      Bialik: Jerusalem, 1977) & additional readings tba; primary rabbinic
      sources.

      Yosef Hayim, Haggadah and history : a panorama in facsimile of five
      centuries of the printed Haggadah from the collections of Harvard University
      and the Jewish Theological Seminary of America [Philadelphia : Jewish
      Publication Society of America, 1976].

      Joseph Tabory, "The Passover eve ceremony : an historical survey " Immanuel
      No 12 (Spr 1981), p. 32-43.

      S. Stein, "The Influence of Symposia Literature on the Literary Form of the
      Pesach Haggadah" JJS 8 (1957), pp. 13-44

      Lawrence Hoffman, "A Symbol of Salvation in the Passover Seder" Passover and
      Easter: The Symbolic Structuing of Sacred Seasons [Two Liturgical
      Traditions, vol. 6] Notre Dame, Ind. Notre Dame Unversity Press, 1999

      Jakob J. Petuchowski, "Do this in remembrance of me' (1 Cor 11:24)" Journal
      of Biblical Literature 76 (D 1957), p. 293-298.

      Baruch M Bokser, "Was the Last Supper a Passover Seder?" Bible Review 3,2
      (1987) 24-33.

      Giuseppe Ghiberti," Jesus’ Passover Meal "SIDIC XXX:1 [1997], 8 12.

      Cordially in Christ,
      John
      <><

      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...
      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
      . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
      they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
    • James McGrath
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
        --- Ken Durkin <ind.fin.choices@...>
        wrote:

        > Common sense says the expression
        > "in the bosom" is more than just "alongside". A
        > child lies in the bosom of its mother. The
        > expression means intimacy and here,
        > a close physical intimacy.

        Dear Ken,

        Common sense tells different things to different
        people, especially those speaking different languages
        and living in different cultural contexts. The same
        common sense you are using in relation to what I take
        to be a Greek expression, might tell a modern German
        that an English speaker who mentions 'columns of
        soldiers five abreast' has in view 'the familial and
        perhaps almost sexual closeness that is an aspect of
        the rigours of military life together'. Of course,
        this person is reading more into the word 'abreast'
        than a native speaker would. There are plenty of
        words and expressions that we use as part of set
        phrases in which we are essentially unconscious of the
        word's meaning independent of that context. (What does
        a parkway have to do with parks or parking?)

        > This one misses the point entirely:
        > (Good News Bible) One of the disciples, the one whom
        > Jesus loved, was sitting next to Jesus. Simon Peter
        > motioned to him and said, "Ask him who he
        > is talking about." So that disciple moved closer to
        > Jesus side and asked, "Who is it Lord.

        Again, it misses the point only if the words 'in the
        bosom of' were not a set expression. The linguistic
        evidence (in particular its use with more than one
        person as the object) suggests that it was precisely
        that - a set phrase, an expression, an idiom. The
        point is then not about Jesus' bosom in and of itself,
        but of the sitting next to, in a place of honor
        alongside. This, at any rate, I take to be the point
        in all 3 Biblical occurrences.

        Looking forward to discussing this further,

        James McGrath

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • James McGrath
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9, 2001
          John,

          Thanks for your message. I think my confusion was due
          to the difference between the 'modern' of way of
          reckoning days and the traditional Jewish one. The
          meal on what we would call 'Passover Eve' (i.e. the
          day before Passover, after sundown) would in fact have
          been part of Passover day according to Jewish
          reckoning.

          Could this tie John together with Paul? If the
          Passover lambs were slain 'on the Eve of the
          Passover', then Paul may well have been aware of the
          same dating for Jesus' death as John suggests and as
          the rabbinic literature records. Would it then be
          conceivable that Mark could have been preserving a
          traditional association with Passover without having
          the same Jewish background to understand the
          chronology of the events linked to Passover?

          Thank you for helping shed another glimmer of light on
          a perplexing issue!

          Best wishes,

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2001
            To James McGrath

            You're very welcome James.

            Luke 22,7; Joh 13,1; Matth 26,17; Mark 14,12 all say the same thing as I
            explained about Passover Eve. This was their way of expressing this
            according to the cultural idiom.

            Cordially in Christ,
            John
            <><

            John N. Lupia
            501 North Avenue B-1
            Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
            JLupia2@...
            "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
            . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
            they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

            Send a cool gift with your E-Card
            http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
          • Yuri Kuchinsky
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 10, 2001
              Steve Puluka wrote:

              >> I would note again, that the Eastern Churches from the earliest
              recorded history have held this view of John's chronology and used
              leavened bread asour Eucharist for this reason. <<

              And on Sat Jul 7, 2001, John Lupia replied in,

              >> The Catholic-Orthodox tradition is Johannine. John Paul II
              concelebrated this liturgy in Ukraine a few eeks ago partaking of the
              eucharistic using this "matter" and "form". It is OUR tradition. <<

              John,

              It's clear that Jn is a quartodeciman gospel. The differences with the
              Synoptic chronology have never been resolved satisfactorily.

              True, in recent centuries, Rome has adopted the Eastern Orthodox
              liturgical tradition alongside its own rather different Western tradition.
              But, still, the historical differences between these two traditions should
              not be minimised. In particular there seems to be a certain contradiction
              between Jesus, according to Jn, being the Passover Lamb, killed at the
              same hour when Passover lambs were sacrificed in Jerusalem, and Jesus
              partaking of the Passover lamb.

              Best wishes,

              Yuri.

              Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto -=O=- http://www.trends.ca/~yuku

              It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than
              to put out on the troubled seas of thought -=O=- John K. Galbraith
            • John Lupia
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 10, 2001
                Yuri Kushinsky wrote:

                >It's clear that Jn is a quartodeciman gospel.

                I assume you mean St. John's Gospel represents Passover falling on Nisan 14.
                Passover did fall on Friday Nisan 14, which means that the Pesach Eve Seder
                (Last Supper) was celebrated on Thursday Nisan 13.

                >The differences with the Synoptic chronology have never been resolved
                >satisfactorily.

                This is only a problem with those researches that have not, IMHO, properly
                understood the chronology of the Synoptic tradition having a conformity and
                consistency with St. John. This is unfortunate and indeed creates confusion
                and division. However if you examine the Synoptics you will find that they
                all agree with St. John and the Last Supper fell on Thursday Nisan 13, the
                Pesach Eve Seder. This understanding forms the basis of the teaching found
                in The Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1333 "Faithful to the Lord's
                command the Church continues to do so, in his memory until his glorious
                return, what he did on the eve of his Passion: "He took bread . . ." "He
                took the cup filled with wine . . .'. Note that the Last Supper is the
                "eve" of Jesus' Passion which fell on Passover as stated in 1096 "For
                Christians, it is the Passover fulfilled in the death and resurrection of
                Christ". Now since the Catholic Church officially teaches Christ was
                crucified on Passover (Friday Nisan 14), and all four Gospels relate how the
                Last Supper was the previous evening it only stands to logic and reason that
                it was on Thursday Nisan 13 "the Pesach Eve (Erev) Seder". Even if one were
                to find alternate interpretations they would still have to agree that this
                above chronology as I understand it and as held by the Catholic Church is
                indeed possible. So, if it is possible why look for disconcordance where
                there is none?

                >True, in recent centuries, Rome has adopted the Eastern Orthodox
                >liturgical tradition alongside its own rather different Western tradition.

                >But, still, the historical differences between these two traditions should
                >not be minimised.

                The Eastern Orthodox liturgical tradition is Catholic in every respect and
                is part of the Catholic tradition. This is not a recent development. I
                suggest you research this issue. I think what you are confusing is the
                different liturgical rites within the Church. The Roman Rite uses
                unleavened bread, whereas numerous Oriental Rites all use leaven bread. All
                of these are Catholic traditions and conform to the official doctrine on the
                Eucharist.

                >In particular there seems to be a certain contradiction
                >between Jesus, according to Jn, being the Passover Lamb, killed at the
                >same hour when Passover lambs were sacrificed in Jerusalem, and Jesus
                >partaking of the Passover lamb.

                Please elaborate on this.

                Cordially in Christ,
                John
                <><

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 11, 2001
                  On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, John Lupia wrote:
                  > Yuri Kushinsky wrote:

                  > >But, still, the historical differences between these two traditions should
                  > >not be minimised.
                  >
                  > The Eastern Orthodox liturgical tradition is Catholic in every respect
                  > and is part of the Catholic tradition. This is not a recent
                  > development. I suggest you research this issue. I think what you are
                  > confusing is the different liturgical rites within the Church. The
                  > Roman Rite uses unleavened bread, whereas numerous Oriental Rites all
                  > use leaven bread. All of these are Catholic traditions and conform to
                  > the official doctrine on the Eucharist.

                  Well, John, this is the problem as I see it. According to Jn, Jesus is
                  already arrested before the Passover meal has taken place. But according
                  to the Synoptic chronology, Jesus eats the Passover meal.

                  As you correctly point out, the Roman Rite uses unleavened bread, whereas
                  numerous Oriental Rites use leavened bread. Why this difference? In my
                  view, the difference arose because the Oriental Rites seem to assume that
                  the Last Supper was not a Passover meal.

                  > >In particular there seems to be a certain contradiction
                  > >between Jesus, according to Jn, being the Passover Lamb, killed at the
                  > >same hour when Passover lambs were sacrificed in Jerusalem, and Jesus
                  > >partaking of the Passover lamb.
                  >
                  > Please elaborate on this.

                  See above.

                  As to your question about the genealogies, these are two extended passages
                  from Mt and Lk that, to my mind, give clear evidence of this material
                  being later than AD 50. (Although, this subject is probably off-topic on
                  John_Lit-L.)

                  Best regards,

                  Yuri.

                  it is time to reform -=O=- Mark Twain
                • Thomas W Butler
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 9, 2001
                    Dear Steve,
                    Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply to your last message.
                    Your point is well taken that the Last Supper is not specifically
                    identified in the FG. You note, however, that the symbols that
                    are clearly associated with it DO appear in the text. I submit that
                    the symbolism is so consistent and clear that the writer(s) were
                    assuming that the readers were already familiar with the tradition
                    and would get the point. The stories of the annointing and the
                    footwashing in chapters 12 and 13 are clearly set within the context
                    of the last supper, even though the FG does not describe that meal
                    in detail.