Re: [John_Lit] Last Supper

  • Steve Puluka
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7, 2001
      From: "John Lupia" <JLupia2@...>
      > John's Gospel has the Last Supper as the Pesach Eve Seder, still widely
      > celebrated among Jews today.
      Dear John,

      I disagree. John's narrative clearly has the Passover sacrifice occurring
      on Friday. There is no reasonable explanation for having the Passover meal
      prior to that sacrifice.

      Further, in the symbolism of John's Gospel, Jesus is introduced as the Lamb
      by John the Baptist at the beginning. Jesus is then condemned to death at
      the same time that the Paschal lambs are being sacrificed in the temple.
      When the Passover happens on the Sabbath, the sacrifice of the lambs is
      transferred from sundown to noon, as prescribed in the Mishnah. I don't
      think this timing is an accident, but part of the literary structure of
      John's Gospel. Therefore, the meal the evening before this trial could NOT
      be the Passover meal in John's chronology.

      I would note again, that the Eastern Churches from the earliest recorded
      history have held this view of John's chronology and used leavened bread as
      our Eucharist for this reason. I don't think that we have to harmonize
      John's timeline to the Synoptic on this point. Each story is making their
      own theological points. And both ended up being accepted as valid points and
      included in the scriptural canons of the Church.

      Steve Puluka
      Cantor Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church
      Mckees Rocks PA
    • John Lupia
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7, 2001

        Steve Puluka wrote:

        > I disagree. John's narrative clearly has the Passover sacrifice
        occurring
        > on Friday.

        Nobody is arguing against this.

        >There is no reasonable explanation for having the Passover meal
        > prior to that sacrifice.

        It is called the Pesach Eve Seder, well documented in Jewish literature, and
        stems from ancient tradition. It is not the Passover meal proper, but one
        the takes place the evening prior to it. Look it up.

        > Further, in the symbolism of John's Gospel, Jesus is introduced as the
        Lamb
        > by John the Baptist at the beginning.

        Nobody is arguing against this point either.

        Jesus is then condemned to death at
        > the same time that the Paschal lambs are being sacrificed in the temple.
        > When the Passover happens on the Sabbath, the sacrifice of the lambs is
        > transferred from sundown to noon, as prescribed in the Mishnah. I don't
        > think this timing is an accident, but part of the literary structure of
        > John's Gospel. Therefore, the meal the evening before this trial could
        NOT
        > be the Passover meal in John's chronology.

        Nobody is arguing against this view either. I only pointed out a tradition
        you seem to be unaware of called the Pesach Eve Seder. This is the
        preliminary meal the evening prior to the Passover, still very solemn and
        sacred.

        > I would note again, that the Eastern Churches from the earliest recorded
        > history have held this view of John's chronology and used leavened bread
        as
        > our Eucharist for this reason.

        The Catholic-Orthodox tradition is Johannine. John Paul II concelebrated
        this liturgy in Ukraine a few eeks ago partaking of the eucharistic using
        this "matter" and "form". It is OUR tradition.

        >I don't think that we have to harmonize
        > John's timeline to the Synoptic on this point. Each story is making
        their
        > own theological points. And both ended up being accepted as valid points
        and
        > included in the scriptural canons of the Church.

        I do not see where the Gospels are ever disconcordant on any issue of faith
        and morals.

        Cordially in Christ,
        John
        <><

        John N. Lupia
        501 North Avenue B-1
        Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
        JLupia2@...
        "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
        . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
        they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

        Send a cool gift with your E-Card
        http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
      • John Lupia
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 7, 2001
          On Sat, 7 Jul 2001 07:01:12 -0400, johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
          wrote:

          Steve Puluka wrote:,

          > I would quibble with this interpretation. In reading John's narrative on
          > the night that Jesus was betrayed I am struck by the LACK OF A MEAL.
          There
          > is no food mentioned, other than Judas tipping his hand. Rather, I see
          that
          > the Eucharistic symbolism we find in the synoptic tradition has been
          moved
          > to points earlier in John's Gospel, the bread and the fish for example.
          >
          > I think that we are so familiar with the synoptic picture of that meal
          that
          > we transfer the image to John's story, when it is not there.

          I refer you to Joh 13,2,4 the term DEIPNON "supper or banquet" is used to
          describe the context of the longest narrative in the entire NT (Joh
          13,1-17-26 = 5 chapters (23.8%)155 verses (17.39%); 2,822 words (17.81%);
          12,381 letters (17.14%)). Even from a papyrological perspective if we
          based a codex manuscript format on that of the specimen of P52 with an
          average of 554 letters to a page the narrative would span 22.34 pages or 11
          1/3 folio leaves. The enormous size of the narrative alone should have been
          sufficient enough evidence for even the humblest reader to realize that
          something extraordinary was taking place here within the context of DEIPNON.

          NOTE:

          Percentages in parentheses reflects that portion of the overall Johannine
          Gospel dedicated to the Last Supper Narrative. The statiscal measurements
          includes Joh 5,4 and Joh 7,53-8,11, which this editor considers original.)

          Cordially in Christ,
          John
          <><

          John N. Lupia
          501 North Avenue B-1
          Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
          JLupia2@...
          "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
          . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
          they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

          Send a cool gift with your E-Card
          http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
        • James McGrath
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
            Steve Puluka wrote:,

            > I would quibble with this interpretation. In
            > reading John's narrative on the night that Jesus was

            > betrayed I am struck by the LACK OF A MEAL. There
            > is no food mentioned, other than Judas tipping his
            > hand. Rather, I see that the Eucharistic symbolism
            > we find in the synoptic tradition has been moved
            > to points earlier in John's Gospel, the bread and
            > the fish for example.
            >
            > I think that we are so familiar with the synoptic
            > picture of that meal that we transfer the image to
            > John's story, when it is not there.

            Although you are right to stress that the meal is in
            no way emphasized, the reference to the beloved
            disciple _reclining_ next to Jesus (at the table) is
            surely an indication that a meal of some sort is
            taking place.

            --- John Lupia <JLupia2@...> wrote:
            > John's Gospel has the Last Supper as the Pesach
            > Eve Seder, still widely
            > celebrated among Jews today.
            > [snip]
            > It is called the Pesach Eve Seder, well documented
            > in Jewish literature, and
            > stems from ancient tradition. It is not the
            > Passover meal proper, but one
            > the takes place the evening prior to it. Look it
            > up.

            I think all of us would be most grateful if you could
            give us some indication of where to look it up. It is
            presumably a rabbinic tradition, but how ancient is
            it? If it is in the Mishnah or Tosefta that would
            probably be close enough to John's time for a link to
            be plausible. If it is only found in the midrashim or
            talmudim on the other hand, the distance in time would
            presumably necessitate extreme caution in appealing to
            the tradition in question to explain John.

            Please do let us know more about the Pesach Eve Seder
            when you get the chance.

            Thanks,

            James McGrath

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Ken Durkin
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
              From: "James McGrath" <jamesfrankmcgrath@...>

              > Although you are right to stress that the meal is in
              > no way emphasized, the reference to the beloved
              > disciple _reclining_ next to Jesus (at the table) is
              > surely an indication that a meal of some sort is
              > taking place.

              Reclining not simply "next to" Jesus but "on" Jesus.
            • John Lupia
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
                To: "James McGrath"
                Regarding Pesach Eve Seder in Mishnaic and Talmudic Literature:

                Our understanding of the Pesach Eve (Erev) Seder comes largely from the
                writings of the Mishnaic & Jerusalem Talmud Tractate Pesahim, and the Gospel
                of John itself.

                Passover Eve

                Before the common meal on Passover eve, the day was filled with preperation
                for the even. A full contingent of priests -- twenty-four divisions instead
                of the usual one--came early to the Temple. Their first task was the
                burning of the hametz, "leven," which had been searched for by candlelight
                in each home the night before and then removed for burning the next morning
                (Mishnah, Pesahim 1-3). By midday all work stopped. The afternoon was set
                aside for the slaughtering of the lamb. The offering of the passover
                sacrifice at the Temple began about 3:00pm. (Pesahim 5:1) and was conducted
                in three massive shifts. When the temple courts was filled with the first
                group of offerers, the gates of the court were closed. The rams horn was
                sounded and the sacrifice began (Pesahim5:5). Each Jew slaughtered his own
                lamb. The priests stood in two rows, one holding a gold basins and the
                other silver. After the blood was drained into the basin, it was tossed
                against the base of the altar (Pesahim 5:6). While the offerings were going
                on, the Levites sang the Hallel (Pss 113-118). Each lamb was then skinned
                and its fat with kidneys removerd for burning on the alter (Pesahim 5:9-10;
                cf. Lev 3:3-5). Before leaving the temple each offerer slung his lamb --
                wrapped in its own hide over his shoulder (Babylonian Talmud, Peshahim 65b).
                He then departed with his company to prepare the passover meal.
                Immediately, the next division of offerers filed into the Temple court and
                the ritual was repeated. (cf. also Pesahim 66a & Jerusalem Talmud Pesahim
                6:1)

                Mishnah (Pesahim 4:1) "it is a positive commandment for each Jew to drink
                four cups of wine on Passover eve, and even the poorest Jew must not receive
                less than four cups of wine." Number four, four cups, have special
                significance, given in many variations: four cups of wine, four questions,
                four sons, four special symbolic foods to be eaten - the paschal sacrifice,
                the matza, the bitter herb and the haroset.

                For additional bibliographic references see:

                Wolf Heidenheim, Passover Eve (Roedelheim, 1822-23)

                Harold Hoehner, “Chronological Aspects of the Life of Christ,” Zondervan,
                1977).

                Rylands Hebrew MS 6 (Catalonian c. 1350) A Haggadah, or service book used
                at the Seder on Passover eve.

                Baruch Bokser, Origins of the Seder, (Univ. of Calif. Press) [o.p.]

                E. Daniel Goldschmidt, The Passover Haggadah: Its Sources and History (Mosad
                Bialik: Jerusalem, 1977) & additional readings tba; primary rabbinic
                sources.

                Yosef Hayim, Haggadah and history : a panorama in facsimile of five
                centuries of the printed Haggadah from the collections of Harvard University
                and the Jewish Theological Seminary of America [Philadelphia : Jewish
                Publication Society of America, 1976].

                Joseph Tabory, "The Passover eve ceremony : an historical survey " Immanuel
                No 12 (Spr 1981), p. 32-43.

                S. Stein, "The Influence of Symposia Literature on the Literary Form of the
                Pesach Haggadah" JJS 8 (1957), pp. 13-44

                Lawrence Hoffman, "A Symbol of Salvation in the Passover Seder" Passover and
                Easter: The Symbolic Structuing of Sacred Seasons [Two Liturgical
                Traditions, vol. 6] Notre Dame, Ind. Notre Dame Unversity Press, 1999

                Jakob J. Petuchowski, "Do this in remembrance of me' (1 Cor 11:24)" Journal
                of Biblical Literature 76 (D 1957), p. 293-298.

                Baruch M Bokser, "Was the Last Supper a Passover Seder?" Bible Review 3,2
                (1987) 24-33.

                Giuseppe Ghiberti," Jesus’ Passover Meal "SIDIC XXX:1 [1997], 8 12.

                Cordially in Christ,
                John
                <><

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
                  --- Ken Durkin <ind.fin.choices@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Reclining not simply "next to" Jesus but "on" Jesus.

                  Actually, I think that the phrase 'in the bosom of'
                  is, like the old English word 'abreast', a way of
                  saying 'next to', 'alongside'. That certainly seems to
                  be the way it is used in Luke and in its two
                  occurrences in John. Further evidence is found in a
                  papyrus fragment (and if I'm not mistaken also in the
                  Apostolic Constitutions) where the phrase occurs 'in
                  the bosom of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob'. Needless to
                  say, unless the three patriarchs are lying down and
                  the other person is lying across them, then the
                  expression must mean something like 'alongside'. :)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
                    From: "James McGrath" <jamesfrankmcgrath@...>

                    > --- Ken Durkin <ind.fin.choices@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Reclining not simply "next to" Jesus but "on" Jesus.
                    > >
                    > Actually, I think that the phrase 'in the bosom of'
                    > is, like the old English word 'abreast', a way of
                    > saying 'next to', 'alongside'. That certainly seems to
                    > be the way it is used in Luke and in its two
                    > occurrences in John. Further evidence is found in a
                    > papyrus fragment (and if I'm not mistaken also in the
                    > Apostolic Constitutions) where the phrase occurs 'in
                    > the bosom of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob'. Needless to
                    > say, unless the three patriarchs are lying down and
                    > the other person is lying across them, then the
                    > expression must mean something like 'alongside'. :)
                    >
                    > James McGrath

                    The closeness is emphasized and the disciple's head falls back while lying
                    on the breast of Jesus to look at him face to face and ask the question. The
                    reader is aware of the meaning of "in the bosom" as an expression of
                    intimacy between Father and Son from 1:18. Common sense says the expression
                    "in the bosom" is more than just "alongside". A child lies in the bosom of
                    its mother. The expression means intimacy and here, a close physical
                    intimacy. The Douay and the Authorized are closest to my translation:

                    (Douay 1609) Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples,
                    whom Jesus loved. Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him: Who is it of whom
                    he speaketh? He therefore, leaning on the breast of Jesus, saith to him,
                    "Lord.

                    (Authorized 1611) Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples
                    whom Jesus loved. Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask
                    who it should be of whom he spake. He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto
                    him, "Lord.

                    This one misses the point entirely:
                    (Good News Bible) One of the disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, was
                    sitting next to Jesus. Simon Peter motioned to him and said, "Ask him who he
                    is talking about." So that disciple moved closer to Jesus side and asked,
                    "Who is it Lord.
                  • James McGrath
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 8, 2001
                      --- Ken Durkin <ind.fin.choices@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Common sense says the expression
                      > "in the bosom" is more than just "alongside". A
                      > child lies in the bosom of its mother. The
                      > expression means intimacy and here,
                      > a close physical intimacy.

                      Dear Ken,

                      Common sense tells different things to different
                      people, especially those speaking different languages
                      and living in different cultural contexts. The same
                      common sense you are using in relation to what I take
                      to be a Greek expression, might tell a modern German
                      that an English speaker who mentions 'columns of
                      soldiers five abreast' has in view 'the familial and
                      perhaps almost sexual closeness that is an aspect of
                      the rigours of military life together'. Of course,
                      this person is reading more into the word 'abreast'
                      than a native speaker would. There are plenty of
                      words and expressions that we use as part of set
                      phrases in which we are essentially unconscious of the
                      word's meaning independent of that context. (What does
                      a parkway have to do with parks or parking?)

                      > This one misses the point entirely:
                      > (Good News Bible) One of the disciples, the one whom
                      > Jesus loved, was sitting next to Jesus. Simon Peter
                      > motioned to him and said, "Ask him who he
                      > is talking about." So that disciple moved closer to
                      > Jesus side and asked, "Who is it Lord.

                      Again, it misses the point only if the words 'in the
                      bosom of' were not a set expression. The linguistic
                      evidence (in particular its use with more than one
                      person as the object) suggests that it was precisely
                      that - a set phrase, an expression, an idiom. The
                      point is then not about Jesus' bosom in and of itself,
                      but of the sitting next to, in a place of honor
                      alongside. This, at any rate, I take to be the point
                      in all 3 Biblical occurrences.

                      Looking forward to discussing this further,

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 9, 2001
                        John,

                        Thanks for your message. I think my confusion was due
                        to the difference between the 'modern' of way of
                        reckoning days and the traditional Jewish one. The
                        meal on what we would call 'Passover Eve' (i.e. the
                        day before Passover, after sundown) would in fact have
                        been part of Passover day according to Jewish
                        reckoning.

                        Could this tie John together with Paul? If the
                        Passover lambs were slain 'on the Eve of the
                        Passover', then Paul may well have been aware of the
                        same dating for Jesus' death as John suggests and as
                        the rabbinic literature records. Would it then be
                        conceivable that Mark could have been preserving a
                        traditional association with Passover without having
                        the same Jewish background to understand the
                        chronology of the events linked to Passover?

                        Thank you for helping shed another glimmer of light on
                        a perplexing issue!

                        Best wishes,

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 9, 2001
                          To James McGrath

                          You're very welcome James.

                          Luke 22,7; Joh 13,1; Matth 26,17; Mark 14,12 all say the same thing as I
                          explained about Passover Eve. This was their way of expressing this
                          according to the cultural idiom.

                          Cordially in Christ,
                          John
                          <><

                          John N. Lupia
                          501 North Avenue B-1
                          Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
                          JLupia2@...
                          "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
                          . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
                          they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

                          Send a cool gift with your E-Card
                          http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
                        • Yuri Kuchinsky
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 10, 2001
                            Steve Puluka wrote:

                            >> I would note again, that the Eastern Churches from the earliest
                            recorded history have held this view of John's chronology and used
                            leavened bread asour Eucharist for this reason. <<

                            And on Sat Jul 7, 2001, John Lupia replied in,

                            >> The Catholic-Orthodox tradition is Johannine. John Paul II
                            concelebrated this liturgy in Ukraine a few eeks ago partaking of the
                            eucharistic using this "matter" and "form". It is OUR tradition. <<

                            John,

                            It's clear that Jn is a quartodeciman gospel. The differences with the
                            Synoptic chronology have never been resolved satisfactorily.

                            True, in recent centuries, Rome has adopted the Eastern Orthodox
                            liturgical tradition alongside its own rather different Western tradition.
                            But, still, the historical differences between these two traditions should
                            not be minimised. In particular there seems to be a certain contradiction
                            between Jesus, according to Jn, being the Passover Lamb, killed at the
                            same hour when Passover lambs were sacrificed in Jerusalem, and Jesus
                            partaking of the Passover lamb.

                            Best wishes,

                            Yuri.

                            Yuri Kuchinsky in Toronto -=O=- http://www.trends.ca/~yuku

                            It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than
                            to put out on the troubled seas of thought -=O=- John K. Galbraith
                          • John Lupia
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 10, 2001
                              Yuri Kushinsky wrote:

                              >It's clear that Jn is a quartodeciman gospel.

                              I assume you mean St. John's Gospel represents Passover falling on Nisan 14.
                              Passover did fall on Friday Nisan 14, which means that the Pesach Eve Seder
                              (Last Supper) was celebrated on Thursday Nisan 13.

                              >The differences with the Synoptic chronology have never been resolved
                              >satisfactorily.

                              This is only a problem with those researches that have not, IMHO, properly
                              understood the chronology of the Synoptic tradition having a conformity and
                              consistency with St. John. This is unfortunate and indeed creates confusion
                              and division. However if you examine the Synoptics you will find that they
                              all agree with St. John and the Last Supper fell on Thursday Nisan 13, the
                              Pesach Eve Seder. This understanding forms the basis of the teaching found
                              in The Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1333 "Faithful to the Lord's
                              command the Church continues to do so, in his memory until his glorious
                              return, what he did on the eve of his Passion: "He took bread . . ." "He
                              took the cup filled with wine . . .'. Note that the Last Supper is the
                              "eve" of Jesus' Passion which fell on Passover as stated in 1096 "For
                              Christians, it is the Passover fulfilled in the death and resurrection of
                              Christ". Now since the Catholic Church officially teaches Christ was
                              crucified on Passover (Friday Nisan 14), and all four Gospels relate how the
                              Last Supper was the previous evening it only stands to logic and reason that
                              it was on Thursday Nisan 13 "the Pesach Eve (Erev) Seder". Even if one were
                              to find alternate interpretations they would still have to agree that this
                              above chronology as I understand it and as held by the Catholic Church is
                              indeed possible. So, if it is possible why look for disconcordance where
                              there is none?

                              >True, in recent centuries, Rome has adopted the Eastern Orthodox
                              >liturgical tradition alongside its own rather different Western tradition.

                              >But, still, the historical differences between these two traditions should
                              >not be minimised.

                              The Eastern Orthodox liturgical tradition is Catholic in every respect and
                              is part of the Catholic tradition. This is not a recent development. I
                              suggest you research this issue. I think what you are confusing is the
                              different liturgical rites within the Church. The Roman Rite uses
                              unleavened bread, whereas numerous Oriental Rites all use leaven bread. All
                              of these are Catholic traditions and conform to the official doctrine on the
                              Eucharist.

                              >In particular there seems to be a certain contradiction
                              >between Jesus, according to Jn, being the Passover Lamb, killed at the
                              >same hour when Passover lambs were sacrificed in Jerusalem, and Jesus
                              >partaking of the Passover lamb.

                              Please elaborate on this.

                              Cordially in Christ,
                              John
                              <><

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 11, 2001
                                On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, John Lupia wrote:
                                > Yuri Kushinsky wrote:

                                > >But, still, the historical differences between these two traditions should
                                > >not be minimised.
                                >
                                > The Eastern Orthodox liturgical tradition is Catholic in every respect
                                > and is part of the Catholic tradition. This is not a recent
                                > development. I suggest you research this issue. I think what you are
                                > confusing is the different liturgical rites within the Church. The
                                > Roman Rite uses unleavened bread, whereas numerous Oriental Rites all
                                > use leaven bread. All of these are Catholic traditions and conform to
                                > the official doctrine on the Eucharist.

                                Well, John, this is the problem as I see it. According to Jn, Jesus is
                                already arrested before the Passover meal has taken place. But according
                                to the Synoptic chronology, Jesus eats the Passover meal.

                                As you correctly point out, the Roman Rite uses unleavened bread, whereas
                                numerous Oriental Rites use leavened bread. Why this difference? In my
                                view, the difference arose because the Oriental Rites seem to assume that
                                the Last Supper was not a Passover meal.

                                > >In particular there seems to be a certain contradiction
                                > >between Jesus, according to Jn, being the Passover Lamb, killed at the
                                > >same hour when Passover lambs were sacrificed in Jerusalem, and Jesus
                                > >partaking of the Passover lamb.
                                >
                                > Please elaborate on this.

                                See above.

                                As to your question about the genealogies, these are two extended passages
                                from Mt and Lk that, to my mind, give clear evidence of this material
                                being later than AD 50. (Although, this subject is probably off-topic on
                                John_Lit-L.)

                                Best regards,

                                Yuri.

                                it is time to reform -=O=- Mark Twain
                              • Thomas W Butler
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 9, 2001
                                  Dear Steve,
                                  Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply to your last message.
                                  Your point is well taken that the Last Supper is not specifically
                                  identified in the FG. You note, however, that the symbols that
                                  are clearly associated with it DO appear in the text. I submit that
                                  the symbolism is so consistent and clear that the writer(s) were
                                  assuming that the readers were already familiar with the tradition
                                  and would get the point. The stories of the annointing and the
                                  footwashing in chapters 12 and 13 are clearly set within the context
                                  of the last supper, even though the FG does not describe that meal
                                  in detail.