Paroimia

  • Mirjam und Ruben Zimmermann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2001
      Does anyone on the list have any actual literature, information and or
      opinion regarding the johannine term "paroimia" (Joh 10,6; 16,25.29)?

      Exploring the johannine metaphoric language I suppose that "paroimia" as it
      is used in Joh 16:25.29 could be seen as key term for the metaphoric or
      enigmatic speech of John.
      I don´t think that it´s possible to limit the meaning of paroimia on the
      significance "proverb" (as Dewey 1980 or T. Thatcher, Riddles 2000 did).

      Can we speak of a special paroimia-form (Gattung) as Jülicher
      (Gleichnisreden) found parables, allegories, similes in the Synoptics? Or is
      paroimia better understood as a hermeneutic expression?
      Is the paroimia-speech of Jesus plain speech or some kind of figurative, or
      even esoteric speech for his friends (the contrast between paroimia -
      parresia is not so clear as it looks at the first time)
      Why didn´t John use the synoptic term "parabole" (if he even knew the
      Synoptics)?

      Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

      Ruben Zimmermann
      University of Munich, Germany