[John_Lit] Re: The Signs Source

  • Mark Matson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 1999
      Wieland Willker wrote:
      > What do scholars think is the content of the hypothetical Signs Source?
      > Is there a verse list or pericope list anywhere?
      > What are the latest theories?
      > Is this only the 7 signs?
      > Or is it more: the John B stories, the temple cleansing, parts of ch. 7?

      There a number of theories around about the size and extent of the
      Signs Source. I think Fortna's "Gospel of Signs" is still the
      classic exposition of this, though others (Heekerens,
      "Die Zeichenquelle der johanneischen Redaktion"; Nicol, The Semeia in
      the Fourth Gospel"; von Wahlde, "The Earliest Verison of John's
      Gospel") present different scenarios based on different criteria.
      All of these, and Bultmann of course, saw some pre-johannine source
      which might be identified with the Signs Source. I don't have all
      these handy right now, or I would briefly sketch them out.

      Fortna includes seven "signs", plus the baptist encounter, the temple
      cleansing, and much of the passion narrative in the source. Some of
      the material he rearranges.

      > Is there a consensus that a source was used in the first half of the gospel?

      I don't think there is a consensus on this at all. I would be
      interested in what others think of the "state of the question."

      Mark Matson
      Mark A. Matson, Ph.D.
      Asst. Director, Sanford Institute of Public Policy
      Adjunct Professor of New Testament
      Duke University
      Durham, NC 27713
      (919) 613-7310

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 1999
        What do scholars think is the content of the hypothetical Signs Source?
        Is there a verse list or pericope list anywhere?
        What are the latest theories?
        Is this only the 7 signs?
        Or is it more: the John B stories, the temple cleansing, parts of ch. 7?

        Is there a consensus that a source was used in the first half of the gospel?

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        Wieland Willker