[John_Lit] Re: John 3.3-5

  • Thatcher, Tom
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 1999
      As has been noted, the idea that true Christians are "of God," the genitive
      of origin or ablative use, is everywhere in 1-2-3 John. 1 John 3:10
      specifically uses "children (teknia) of God" (cp. "children of light"
      somewhere in FG that I can't remember offhand). But back to the original
      question, it is indeed interesting that FE refers to "born of Spirit" rather
      than "born of God." I personally believe it is because pneuma is used in
      parallelism with "water" in 3:3-5 as synonymns for anothen; "born from
      above" = "born of water and Spirit." There are, of couse, several
      connections between water and spirit in FG, most notably chapter 7, where FE
      makes the "living water" of Jesus' discourse the Spirit. It seems that John
      is suggesting that the Spirit accomplishes some sort of rebirth in
      believers, ala 1:12? This would be similar to the Pauline concept, would it
      not, minus the Pauline baptism?

      Respectfully,
      --tom

      "The Truth Will Set You Free"
      Tom Thatcher
      CBC&S
      (513) 244-8172

    • Mark Matson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 1999
        Kevin:

        A couple more references that you might already have, but are worth
        noting on this subject:

        Sandra Schneiders, "John 20:11-18: the Encounter of the Easter Jesus
        with Mary Magdalene -- A Transformative Feminist Reading." in What is
        John, vol. 1.

        Luise Schottroff, "The Samaritan Woman and the Notion of Sexuality in
        the Fourth Gospel." in What is John, vol. 2.

        Mark
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I've been lurking here since the John-Ltr group was formed and I apologize
        > for not getting involved sooner. I was changing jobs (from pastor to dean)
        > and moving offices, computers, etc., so discussion groups were not high on
        > the "to do" list. But now I want to get more involved. Perhaps you can help
        > me out. I am supposed to write a chapter in a Festschrift and my "assigned"
        > topic is "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John." Any suggestions on how
        > to approach this and where to go?
        >
        > Kevin
        >
        > Dr. Kevin Quast, Academic Dean
        > North American Baptist College
        > 11525-23 Ave., Edmonton, Alberta, T6J 4T3
        > (780)431-5208; Fax 436-9416
        > kquast@...
        > www.nabcebs.ab.ca/net <http://www.nabcebs.ab.ca/net>

        Mark A. Matson, Ph.D.
        Asst. Director, Sanford Institute of Public Policy
        Adjunct Professor of New Testament
        Duke University
        Durham, NC 27713
        (919) 613-7310