[John_Lit] Re: Women in the Fourth Gospel

  • Kevin Quast
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12, 1999
      Thank you Ramsey. I will look it up today.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 1999
        Kevin,

        Here are two good places to start:

        Gail R. O'Day, "John," The Women's Bible Commentary (eds Carol A. Newsom
        and Sharon H. Ringe; Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster/John Knox, 1992) 293-304.

        Sandra M. Schneiders, "Women in the Fourth Gospel and the Role of Women in
        the Contemporary Church," Biblical Theology Bulletin 12 (1982) 35-45.

        David
        --
        David Rensberger, Professor of New Testament
        Interdenominational Theological Center

      • Jeffrey L. Staley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 1999
          Kevin Quast wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > my "assigned" topic is "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John." Any suggestions on how to approach this and where to go?

          Another recent book that has not been mentioned yet is: Adeline Fehribach, The Women in the Life of the Bridegroom: A feminist
          historical-literary analysis of the female characters in the Fourth Gospel (Liturgical Press, 1998). This seems to be a lightly revised
          (1994/95?) doctoral dissertation done under the supervision of Mary Ann Tolbert, at Vanderbilt (?). In my book Reading with a Passion:
          Rhetoric, Autobiography and the American West in the Gospel of John (Continuum, 1995) I devote a chapter to a feminist reading of the
          "Lazarus story" (p. 54-84). For a slightly different take on the Samaritan woman, see Musa Dube's essay in a recent Semeia volume (I
          think it is the one on postcolonial interpretations of the Bible) I'll have to check out the exact reference, but I think it is in that
          Semeia volume.

          Jeff Staley
        • CStarWrk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 1999
            This guy is important...

            He tends to lean a little further to the "liberal" side by suggesting that
            the reader's response is more important than the original author's intent.
            (I am uncomfortable with assertion).

            The above statement (thought I believe is true) is misleading.

            Staley's concern is about how the author is shaping the reader's impression
            through how the author/editor relates the story (and particularly how the
            author/editor relates the story through the implied narrator of the story).

            The other thing is the reality is that the reader's perception of that the
            passage is about is more important FOR THAT READER that what the author
            intended 2000+ years before.

            -C
          • N & RJ Hanscamp
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 1999
              I'm a little confused as to what was intended here. It seems to be
              referring to some message I did not get.

              Nigel

              (PS Could ya sign ya name -not initial -please)

              Nigel and Rebecca Hanscamp
              Trinity Methodist Theological College
              Auckland Consortium of Theological Education, New Zealand
              Email: nar.hanscamp@...

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
                On the treatment of women in John, you might add appendices at the ends of
                Ray Brown's _The Community of the Beloved Disciple_ and Bob Kysar's _The
                Maverick Gospel_ (2nd ed).

                Paul Anderson

                On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Jeffrey L. Staley wrote:

                > Kevin Quast wrote:
                >
                > > Hello everyone,
                > >
                > > my "assigned" topic is "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John." Any suggestions on how to approach this and where to go?
                > >

                > Another recent book that has not been mentioned yet is: Adeline Fehribach, The Women in the Life of the Bridegroom: A feminist
                > historical-literary analysis of the female characters in the Fourth Gospel (Liturgical Press, 1998). This seems to be a lightly revised
                > (1994/95?) doctoral dissertation done under the supervision of Mary Ann Tolbert, at Vanderbilt (?). In my book Reading with a Passion:
                > Rhetoric, Autobiography and the American West in the Gospel of John (Continuum, 1995) I devote a chapter to a feminist reading of the
                > "Lazarus story" (p. 54-84). For a slightly different take on the Samaritan woman, see Musa Dube's essay in a recent Semeia volume (I
                > think it is the one on postcolonial interpretations of the Bible) I'll have to check out the exact reference, but I think it is in that
                > Semeia volume.
                >
                > Jeff Staley

              • Jon R. Venema
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 1999
                  > Kevin Quast wrote:
                  >
                  > Hello everyone,
                  >
                  > my "assigned" topic is "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John." Any
                  suggestions on how to approach this and where to go?

                  It seems a basic or necessary question addressed has been:
                  Why women were prominent in Gosepl of John?
                  Three general answers:
                  1. Addressing the Community
                  2. Addressing outsiders
                  3. Speaking against other communities

                  R. Brown (#3):
                  A. Y. Collins (#1-2): Relationships within Johannine community
                  characterized by mutuality
                  R. Karris (#2): Invitation to women to enter the community
                  S. Schneiders (#1): Males in Johannine Community reluctant to recognize
                  women
                  Schüssler-Fiorenza (#3):

                  The topic "women as witnesses in the Gospel of John" would certainly be
                  shaped
                  by perspectives such as these.

                  Jon R. Venema