Re: [John_Lit] Re: Paul Anderson's "Truth and Liberation

    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2001
      Charles Scott wrote:

      > Thank you for the insightful comments on Paul
      > Andersons piece.
      >
      > Your comments helped to clarify my thinking on
      > another issue I have been working on related to
      > Johanine Literature and �psychology�s therapeutic
      > goals� and �religion�s moral aim�.

      > The words you have given me will help me to better
      > express to my brother clergy and to the church this
      > neglected dimension of their Christian service
      > to the troubled.

      Thank you for your kind words. You might be interested
      in reading some of Robert Bellah's work, especially
      his "Habits of the Heart". He has a similar view of
      the therapeutic assumptions that have come to pervade
      so much of American thinking and that have tended to
      reinforce a radically individualistic sense of the
      self that makes people incapable of perceiving and
      expressing moral views in language other than that of
      radical individualism (a very poverty-stricken
      language for moral discourse!).

      Bellah was one of my advisors at Berkeley, and we
      still keep in fairly frequent email contact.

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/