Re:[John_Lit] A Modest Proposal for the Future Discussion of

    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2001
      Dear Gary,

      > Dear Jeffrey:

      Actually, "Jeffery". Your mistake is a common (indeed,
      nearly universal) one.

      > Your idea seems fair and just.

      Thank you.

      > However, it seems that for most of these lists,
      > there are fewer responses at the end of semesters
      > because most academics are being bombarded by
      > student papers and end of semester class stuff. Late
      > summers suffer from vacation. I have noticed that
      > late April/May and Late Nov/Dec. are always slow
      > times for these discussion groups, as are late July
      > and August.

      You may well be correct. This corresponds to some of
      what I have noticed as well.

      > Perhaps, a calendar should be proposed in which
      > papers are discussed from Sept - mid Nov (not during
      > SBL) and Jan - mid-April, with June - mid-July being
      > a third quarter. This allows people to submit papers
      > without the burden of an obligation that might fall
      > at an inopportune time, or conflicts strongly with
      > class obligations. Just an idea.

      I think that this is an excellent idea for
      participants on most academic schedules. It fits mine
      well enough. I suppose that we would have to hear from
      others about their academic schedules since these can
      differ according to semester or quarter system or in
      various parts of the world.

      > I think the lack of response has more to do with
      > academic calendars than the list's view of the
      > papers.

      I am sure that you must be correct on this point since
      Paul Anderson's paper also received no real
      discussion, and I doubt that anyone would imagine that
      the paper of such a reputable scholar would be of low
      quality.

      Thank you for your suggestions.

      Best Regards,

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2001
        Another change that might facilitate fuller and more
        fruitful discussion would be to have a moderator for
        each paper being discussed. The moderator could be
        different for each paper and -- to make the discussion
        even fuller -- could be someone who does not post a
        paper. The moderator's primary job would be to read
        the paper before the discussion week and, on the day
        prior to discussion, post a response that would direct
        participants to major points, issues, and questions. I
        suppose that we could also require all moderators to
        agree to participate in all discussions and not just
        the one that they moderate, but perhaps this would be
        too rigorous.

        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Yahweh1674@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2001
          I have not commented on any papers because I have not had the time to do so.
          Of course I could said, "Nice paper!" -- but that would hardly contribute to
          the discussion. Hopefully by fall I'll have time to give some scholarly
          thought to the hard work of the contributors. I feel guilty that I haven't
          been able to give these great papers their just due.

          I will be in Australia on a speaking tour from mid-July to mid-September.
          Anyone who will be in the land down under and who might be interested in
          attending any of our talks, the schedule can be found on our website at:
          http://www.oamweb.com/religious/unitydiv/

          If you do visit the web site and wonder which one I am, I am the person in
          red.

          Peace --

          Heiwa
        • Staley, Jeffrey
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2001
            Another change that might facilitate fuller and more
            fruitful discussion would be to have a moderator for
            each paper being discussed.

            I like this idea, since it ensures at least one credible respondent.

            Jeff Staley