Re:[John_Lit] A Modest Proposal for the Future Discussion of

  • gds@dor.kaiser.org
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2001
      Dear Jeffrey:

      I would like to add a comment to your plan. I have neither posted a paper nor
      do I intend to in the future. Your idea seems fair and just However, it seems
      that for most of these lists, there are fewer responses at the end of semesters
      because most academics are being bombarded by student papers and end of semester
      class stuff. Late summers suffer from vacation. I have noticed that late
      April/May and Late Nov/Dec. are always slow times for these discussion groups,
      as are late July and August. Perhaps, a calendar should be proposed in which
      papers are discussed from Sept - mid Nov (not during SBL) and Jan - mid-April,
      with June - mid-July being a third quarter. This allows people to submit papers
      without the burden of an obligation that might fall at an inopportune time, or
      conflicts strongly with class obligations. Just an idea. I think the lack of
      response has more to do with academic calendars than the list's view of the
      papers.

      Gary D. Salyer

      Subject: [John_Lit] A Modest Proposal for the Future Discussion of Pa
      Author: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com >
      Date: 5/11/01 3:38 AM

      I think that there would be little disagreement on
      this listserve that our discussion-schedule aims have
      not been met as we had wished. There was no real
      discussion of Paul Anderson's paper on the Paraclete
      and little discussion of the last several papers --
      including Elizabeth Danna's paper and my own two
      papers on the dualism of food in John.

      Only the first few papers received an adequate
      discussion.

      Doubtless, many reasons could be advanced to explain
      this decline in the number of participants in the
      discussions and in the intensity of the discussions,
      and I won't hazard any guesses about what these
      reasons might be, but I will emphasize that the
      decline has nothing to do with any decline in the
      quality of the later papers. (Yes, I realize that this
      is a self-interested remark.)

      I think that we need to think about how to reform any
      future discussions of papers in order to better meet
      our aims. I have one suggestion that, if agreed upon
      and adhered to, would radically transform future
      discussions. Here is my proposal:

      In future discussions, everyone who posts a paper for
      discussion must formally agree to read and comment
      upon all other papers posted for discussion within a
      specified and agreed upon time frame.

      This seems eminently fair to me (or I wouldn't be
      proposing it), but I would like to know what others
      think.

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      ----------

      To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
      From: Horace Jeffery Hodges <jefferyhodges@...>
      Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 03:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: [John_Lit] A Modest Proposal for the Future Discussion of Papers

      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2001
        Dear Gary,

        > Dear Jeffrey:

        Actually, "Jeffery". Your mistake is a common (indeed,
        nearly universal) one.

        > Your idea seems fair and just.

        Thank you.

        > However, it seems that for most of these lists,
        > there are fewer responses at the end of semesters
        > because most academics are being bombarded by
        > student papers and end of semester class stuff. Late
        > summers suffer from vacation. I have noticed that
        > late April/May and Late Nov/Dec. are always slow
        > times for these discussion groups, as are late July
        > and August.

        You may well be correct. This corresponds to some of
        what I have noticed as well.

        > Perhaps, a calendar should be proposed in which
        > papers are discussed from Sept - mid Nov (not during
        > SBL) and Jan - mid-April, with June - mid-July being
        > a third quarter. This allows people to submit papers
        > without the burden of an obligation that might fall
        > at an inopportune time, or conflicts strongly with
        > class obligations. Just an idea.

        I think that this is an excellent idea for
        participants on most academic schedules. It fits mine
        well enough. I suppose that we would have to hear from
        others about their academic schedules since these can
        differ according to semester or quarter system or in
        various parts of the world.

        > I think the lack of response has more to do with
        > academic calendars than the list's view of the
        > papers.

        I am sure that you must be correct on this point since
        Paul Anderson's paper also received no real
        discussion, and I doubt that anyone would imagine that
        the paper of such a reputable scholar would be of low
        quality.

        Thank you for your suggestions.

        Best Regards,

        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2001
          Another change that might facilitate fuller and more
          fruitful discussion would be to have a moderator for
          each paper being discussed. The moderator could be
          different for each paper and -- to make the discussion
          even fuller -- could be someone who does not post a
          paper. The moderator's primary job would be to read
          the paper before the discussion week and, on the day
          prior to discussion, post a response that would direct
          participants to major points, issues, and questions. I
          suppose that we could also require all moderators to
          agree to participate in all discussions and not just
          the one that they moderate, but perhaps this would be
          too rigorous.

          447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Yahweh1674@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2001
            I have not commented on any papers because I have not had the time to do so.
            Of course I could said, "Nice paper!" -- but that would hardly contribute to
            the discussion. Hopefully by fall I'll have time to give some scholarly
            thought to the hard work of the contributors. I feel guilty that I haven't
            been able to give these great papers their just due.

            I will be in Australia on a speaking tour from mid-July to mid-September.
            Anyone who will be in the land down under and who might be interested in
            attending any of our talks, the schedule can be found on our website at:
            http://www.oamweb.com/religious/unitydiv/

            If you do visit the web site and wonder which one I am, I am the person in
            red.

            Peace --

            Heiwa
          • Staley, Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2001
              Another change that might facilitate fuller and more
              fruitful discussion would be to have a moderator for
              each paper being discussed.

              I like this idea, since it ensures at least one credible respondent.

              Jeff Staley