John 21:24: Antecedent of 'the disciple who wrote these things'

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2001
      What is the generally accepted opinion on who is intended as the antecedent
      for OUTOS in verse 24 'this is the disciple who... wrote these things'?
      (Peter, the unknown author, the Beloved Disciple, someone named John?)

      Thanks

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

      Catch the foxes for us,
      http://members.home.net/bobmacdonald/homepage.htm
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2001
        I think that there would be little disagreement on
        this listserve that our discussion-schedule aims have
        not been met as we had wished. There was no real
        discussion of Paul Anderson's paper on the Paraclete
        and little discussion of the last several papers --
        including Elizabeth Danna's paper and my own two
        papers on the dualism of food in John.

        Only the first few papers received an adequate
        discussion.

        Doubtless, many reasons could be advanced to explain
        this decline in the number of participants in the
        discussions and in the intensity of the discussions,
        and I won't hazard any guesses about what these
        reasons might be, but I will emphasize that the
        decline has nothing to do with any decline in the
        quality of the later papers. (Yes, I realize that this
        is a self-interested remark.)

        I think that we need to think about how to reform any
        future discussions of papers in order to better meet
        our aims. I have one suggestion that, if agreed upon
        and adhered to, would radically transform future
        discussions. Here is my proposal:

        In future discussions, everyone who posts a paper for
        discussion must formally agree to read and comment
        upon all other papers posted for discussion within a
        specified and agreed upon time frame.

        This seems eminently fair to me (or I wouldn't be
        proposing it), but I would like to know what others
        think.

        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • jestaton@zoom.co.uk
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2001
          --- In johannine_literature@y..., "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald@h...>
          wrote:
          > What is the generally accepted opinion on who is intended as the
          antecedent
          > for OUTOS in verse 24 'this is the disciple who... wrote these
          things'?
          > (Peter, the unknown author, the Beloved Disciple, someone named
          John?)

          > Thanks
          >
          > Bob

          I think the Beloved Disciple (whoever he/she may be!), who is also
          the subject of verse 23.

          Best Wishes

          JOHN E STATON
          www.jestaton.org
          jestaton@...
        • jestaton@zoom.co.uk
          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2001
            For my own part, Jeffrey, pressure of work has prevented me reading
            these estimable papers, and I will not insult the authors by
            commenting on work I have not read. I have downloaded the papers, and
            will read them when time permits.

            Best Wishes

            JOHN E STATON
            --- In johannine_literature@y..., Horace Jeffery Hodges