Re: [Synoptic-L] Virus allert!

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2001
      It looks like the Johannine List has been hit by the Kak.hta virus that
      has been making the rounds on other Lists. I just received an automated
      reply to my message to George Brooks that contains one of the
      attachments that this virus/worm generates.

      Depending on whether you use Outlook Express or Netscape, virus, it is
      not necessary to open any attachments to be infected. All that is
      required is simply *reading* the e-mail and it begins the infection. It
      is security hole in Outlook.

      If you've begun receiving messages which ask you to "take a look at the
      attachment", DON'T DO IT!!!

      To find information on how to FIX the virus AND how to prevent
      FUTURE problems (to plug up the Outlook Security hole), go to

      http://service1.symantec.com/sarc/sarc.nsf/html/Wscript.KakWorm.html

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson