Re: [John_Lit] Another use of the word "Greeks"

  • Paul Schmehl
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 5:19 PM
      From: "Elizabeth Danna" <ejdanna@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 8:11 AM
      Subject: Re: [John_Lit] Another use of the word "Greeks"

      > It's very puzzling. You should be aware that some of the manuscripts
      don't
      > have the word "Greeks" at v. 17, and thus read "all of them," probably
      > meaning "all the Jews." Indeed a few manuscripts do read "all the Jews."
      > Text criticism isn't my specialty, but my guess would be that the
      reference
      > to the Greeks doesn't belong, since it doesn't make any sense. (Before
      you
      > ask, I can't imagine how it got into some manuscripts if it wasn't
      original).

      Here's what Metzger says in "A Textual Commentary..."

      "In order to identify the 'all' who seized and beat Sosthenes, the ruler
      of the synagogue, the Western and later ecclesiastical texts (and hence the
      AV) add the identifying words, 'the Greeks,' i.e. the Gentile community.
      Several minuscule manuscripts read 'all the Jews,' which is much more
      unlikely to represent the real situation.
      At the close of the verse the Latin text of codex Bezae after BHMATOS is
      erased and nothing is now legible, but it is fair to assume that it
      corresponded with the Latin; Clark reconstructs TOTE hO GALLIWN PROSEPOIEI
      MH IDEIN."

      Then there's an additional note at the bottom of the page (411) that says:
      "According to a suggestion made by C. A. Phillips, behind the two forms
      of text one may postulate the Syriac verb ...., which , according to
      Brockelmann's 'Lexicon Syriacum' means primarily avertit (occulos, faciem)
      but also non curavit, neglexit (Bulletin of the Bezan Club, v [1928], p. 44,
      cf. D. Plooij, ibib., ix [1031], p. 16)."

      (Sorry, I know no Syriac, so I can't reproduce the verb. Perhaps another
      can do so.)

      Paul Schmehl
      p.l.schmehl@...
      http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/