Re: Galileans and the Jewish Perception of them

  • George Brooks
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2001
      Elizabeth,

      I think I found the answer to an earlier question
      I made to you concerning the Jewish perception of
      people from Galilee.

      According to Strong, the Hebrew words that are
      typically linked to the region of Samaria are:

      #8111 - Shomerone and
      #8115 - Shomrayin

      The definition is surprisingly broad: "The region
      of northern Palestine associated with the northern
      kingdom of the 10 tribes of Israel..." Thus it is
      not necessarily restricted to JUST the region around
      the city of Samaria.

      To the Greek mind there may have been a distinction
      between those who with ancestry in Galilee vs. Samaria.
      But in the HEBREW-speaking mind, a non-Jewish Israelite
      would be quite appropriately termed a Shomerone or
      Shomrayin.

      We know Jesus was referred to as a Galilean. And so
      it would not be surprising for him, under a wider sense
      of the word Samarian/Samaritan, to be referred to as
      what we English speakers would call a Samaritan.

      Wrapped up in this sense of the word would be the
      implication that his ancestry was of the 10 Northern
      tribes, not of the House of Judah.... namely that he
      was a non-Jewish Israelite. Perhaps, then, it is no
      coincidence that he uses the phrase "House of Israel"
      so frequently?

      George

      --- In johannine_literature@y..., "George Brooks"