Re: [John_Lit] Another use of the word "Greeks"

  • Elizabeth Danna
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2001
      George Brooks wrote:

      > Elizabeth,
      >
      > What do you make of the use of the term Greeks
      > in Acts 18:12-17.

      It's very puzzling. You should be aware that some of the manuscripts don't
      have the word "Greeks" at v. 17, and thus read "all of them," probably
      meaning "all the Jews." Indeed a few manuscripts do read "all the Jews."
      Text criticism isn't my specialty, but my guess would be that the reference
      to the Greeks doesn't belong, since it doesn't make any sense. (Before you
      ask, I can't imagine how it got into some manuscripts if it wasn't original).

      Elizabeth Danna
    • Paul Schmehl
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2001