[John_Lit] Jesus and the Baptist

  • Moloneyfj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 1999
      Dear all,

      Sorry I have not been in earlier, but I am in Australia with friends and
      family. I have been following the discussion, headed by David Rensberger, on
      the long-debated isssue of Jesus and the Baptist in the Fourth Gospel, and
      the possible "world behind the text" scenario that created the Johannine
      presentation of the Baptist.

      Maybe I am too late (and David indicated that he had to get on with other
      matters recently), but two issues appear important to me. In the first
      place, the discussion has long been largely determined by Baldensperger and
      then Bultmann's acceptance of his position (with the added issue of
      Proto-Mandeans and a Baptist sect). This accepts that the Johannine
      presentation of the Baptist must be negative. But is it? Hardly. He is
      second only to Jesus himself as "sent by God" ... "a lamp burning" etc. etc.,
      who always gets it right when he witnesses to Jesus.

      Yet, there is a difficulty! Might I suggest that the early Church did not
      have a difficulty with John the Baptist, but rather with the baptism of John
      the Baptist! This is certainly the way things look in Acts 18-19. I do not
      have my books with me, and I am unable to give you detailed references.
      However, there is a fine presentation of this issue in Christoph Niemand,
      "Die Fusswaschung im Johannesevangelium. Untersuchungen zur ihrer Entstehung
      und Ueberlieferung im Urchristentum" (Studia Anselmiana 114; Rome: Pontificio
      Ateneo S. Anselmo, 1993). I am afraid I am not in a situation to provide
      page numbers - nor the details of my review of the book in CBQ a year or so
      after publication.

      However, I think we might need to look at the problem of the two baptisms
      more closely, rather than focussing only on the two baptizers. I make this
      point briefly in an article to appear next year in NTS: "The Fourth Gospel
      and the Jesus of History."

      Sorry to be so slow in joining this

      Frank Moloney
      Catholic University of America